is homosexuality in your genes? or do you choose of is it from your childhood?

i know you dont get to choose your sexuality but i just wanted to know your opinion!

well i am bisexual and i am an only child (15) i was raised by my mom and i seen my dad ocationally but not that often. and i have alot of friends. i go to an all-boys school and none of my relations are gay/bi (or at least not that i know of!) so what do you think influences your sexual orientation?

Favorite Answer

I don't think your sexual preference is in your genes or blood or whatever.

I think it can be influenced by how you were raised, but if you like girls and get grossed out by guys even if you were raised to like guys you'll still like girls.

I think It's more of a mindset, like how something might turn you on.

Anything repeated to you several times over a long period, that eventually you become comfortable with, and/or something that looks good or is associated with something good will most likely influence your sexual preference.

On April 14, 2003, the International Human Genome Consortium announced the successful completion of the Human Genome Project—two years ahead of schedule. The press report read: “The human genome is complete and the Human Genome Project is over” (see “Human Genome Report...,” 2003, emp. added). Most of the major science journals reported on the progress in the field of genetics, but also speculated on how the information would now be used. The one piece of information that never materialized from the Human Genome Project was the identification of the so-called “gay gene.”

Homosexuality has been practiced for thousands of years. Simply put, homosexuality is defined as sexual relations between like genders (i.e., two males or two females). It was Sigmund Freud who first postulated that parental relationships with a child ultimately determine the youngster’s sexual orientation. But this “nurturing” aspect has effectively given way to the “nature” side of the equation. Can some behaviors (e.g., alcoholism, homosexuality, schizophrenia) be explained by genetics? Are these and other behaviors influenced by nature or by nurture? Are they inborn or learned? Some individuals believed that the answer would be found hiding amidst the chromosomes analyzed in the Human Genome Project.

The human X and Y chromosomes (the two “sex” chromosomes) have been completely sequenced. Thanks to work carried out by labs all across the globe, we know that the X chromosome contains 153 million base pairs, and harbors a total of 1168 genes (see NCBI, 2004). The National Center for Biotechnology Information reports that the Y chromosome—which is much smaller—contains “only” 50 million base pairs, and is estimated to contain a mere 251 genes. Educational institutions such as Baylor University, the Max Planck Institute, the Sanger Institute, Washington University in St. Louis, and others have spent countless hours and millions of research dollars analyzing these unique chromosomes. As the data began to pour in, they allowed scientists to construct gene maps—using actual sequences from the Human Genome Project. And yet, neither the map for the X nor the Y chromosome contains any “gay gene.”

Most studies suggest that it has more to do with the hormones a mother's body produces while she's carrying her baby that will determine sexual orientation rather than genes. Even though you're genes say "I'm a boy" for some reason the mother's body produces female hormones which feminize some parts of the brain (like the parts that control sexual attraction) so at least part of your brain ends up developing as it when in a female.

But in some people there may be genes that trigger this response from the mother. But mostly, it appears that it can happen to any child regardless of genes.

• Jack

There is evidence for many things influencing sexuality. Genes, hormones before birth, and many other factors have all been shown to affect sexuality. There is no evidence that sexuality is a choice. I am gay and I have to say that I would have to be out of my f***ing mind to want to be gay. There is a lot of stress and difficulty in life that wouldn't be there for a straight person. The idea that it is a choice is ridiculous. As an earlier answerer said, some people kill themselves over being gay. Does that sound like it was a choice?

Put it this way. Homosexuality is like hair color. Your natural hair color is what you are born with and have for the rest of your life. Sure you may not like your hair color. So you cover it up with hair coloring. That just covers what your real hair color is. It is the same with homosexuality. If a gene is a homosexual gene, then you are gay. Depending on the level in your body is how gay you are. Everyone is gay though. Because everyone is at least 10% genetically homosexual. That is how your are able to get along with the same gender in general. Now the homosexual gene never exactly 10%. That is how you are bisexual. But you can be more sexually attracted to men or women. As for gay, anything above the 80 percentile range is predominantly homosexual. There is a scale called the Kinsey scale. It determines how homosexual or heterosexual you are. It is in everyone. And you don't get it from anyone in particular. It is in you from birth. So it is in everyone. Rather people realize it or not, Yes they are technically gay to an extent.

Source(s): UGH.... I get to much into details sometimes!!!!

there are a lot of theories, genes being a big one, my favorite theory personally is the one about prenatal hormones, some people think the amount of estrogen/testosterone your hypothalamus gland receives before birth determines your sexual orientation, I'm not sure what causes it, but it's NOT a choice, & even if it was genetic it would be a recessive trait so it wouldn't be that surprising if no-one or very few relatives were gay, you don't have to be blond to carry the trait for blond hair

♂ + ♂ = ♥

♀ + ♀ = ♥

♀ + ♂ = ♥

In today's society I think conditioning influences a lot of people's orientation. Years ago, a person of the same could look at someone and think they were nice looking etc, now because of being taught in school it's an acceptable alternative, people who do that now question their sexuality, and open doors that would not have been opened in the past. That's part of why so many people (kids) are confused.

• I don't know what it is. I know I didn't choose it, but I don't think it matters if it's in my genes or because of the way my mom raised me. I like girls and that's that. It doesn't matter to me.

Source(s): Queird

I don't think so, its based on the environment around the kid.

It might have something to with low testosterone levels or something.

It would be kinda ridiculous to think that its genetic. Imagine a person who is gay and his father is gay, whose mother is gay, whose father is gay, whose grand father is gay. Wouldn't that be kinda silly?

I think you're born with it. I don't think it's a choice because you see some people who kill themselves because they are gay. Now why would you do that if you chose to be gay in the first place?