Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

When you have arteriosclerosis, is it too late to regain elasticity of the arteries?

I've had borderline high blood pressure for about a year and have made significant lifestyle changes that are bringing it down. So I'm just wondering -- Are there any specific foods that will change/repair/revitalize my arteries? Is it possible to regain elasticity? I'm in my 50's, and high blood pressure and heart disease are in my family history. Please provide studies or resources as I am also researching this for a paper.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You absolutely CAN halt the progression of coronary artery disease (CAD). Most of the time, it is also reversible with diet and stress management. By diet, I mean a very low fat (less than 10% of calories from fat), plant based diet free of added fats/oils/animal products/refined foods/simple sugars/processed foods/white flour/white rice. Essentially the diet is very low fat, vegan (or includes only fat free dairy items) and Is also low-glycemic.

Dean Ornish MD is an authority in preventative cardiology and has proven that even the worst cases of coronary artery disease can be reversed or at least halted. You can find Dean Ornish online at pmri.org and he has published many books and professional articles. His groundbreaking work on reversing heart disease with diet was published in the medical journal called "The Lancet". Ornish has also written the chapter on preventative cardiology in Harrison's (which is the bible on which all modern medicine is based-and both his works are VERY prestigous accomplishments). Ornish has also written several books but the ones you will probably find most useful are "The Spectrum" and / or "Eat More, Weigh Less". He is founder of he non-profit Preventative Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito CA and their website is already referenced above. Patients who are assigned to Dr Ornish had such advanced heart disease that surgery wasn't an option. they were essentially "hopeless" and "beyond help" - expected to die of heart disease- which makes Ornish's accomplishments all the more important. Besides, even when drugs and surgery are treatment options, most doctors never tell their patients the reality that current drugs and surgeries, including cholesterol lowering meds/stints/CABGs do NOT extend the lifespan of patients. Futhermore, they only treat the symptoms of heart disease instead of its causes. Current treatments, aside from lifestyle and dietary changes, also have lots of negative side effects and risks.

Aside from Ornish, there is Caldwell Esselstyn MD from the Cleveland Clinic foundation who recommends a diet slightly more restrictive than Ornish (totally vegan whereas Ornish allows for fat free dairy). Esselstyn has also has lots of success at reversing CAD and enhancing the lives of patients. Look him up in Google by name and find him at Clevelandclinicfoundation.org.

Aside the two above, John McDougall MD also has great resources and info about how to reverse CAD. He advises a similar diet plan as the prior two.

There's no escaping the very low fat, plant based diet. It is the only way to restore elasticity. It isn't restrictive, it is wonderful and very easy, but people make a huge deal out of giving up a few "foods" that nobody should be eating on a reular basis anyway - if at all. And anympotential sacrifice in terms of foods is over-compensated by surviving a progressive and eventually terminal disease. The diet also has many other benefits, including cancer prevention and the lengthening of "telomeres" which are a biological measure of human lifespan (increasing telomeres=extending lifespan). One other good resource, generally speaking, is www.theheart.org

This was probably pretty much obvious. The problem is that people just don't want to believe it is so simple. And many just want a magic pill but it doesn't exist so just choose to eat right and you benefit with a healthy heart and enormously increased quality of life.

Source(s): MD
  • Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDLDw

Your vagina is elastic, even after giving birth your vagina should not be loose, it may simply be that through giving birth you have lost some muscle tone (which can be built up by doing Kegals and strengthening your core muscles). Even if your vagina had not regained tone, or somehow magically become larger than it was before, that should not effect sex as sex is not all about penetration and there are plenty of ways to make sex work. Chances are that you have convinced yourself that you are ‘loose’ when in fact you are not – so asking how you compare to other women isn’t going to help, it’s mental, so only you can get past it! There is no universal number of fingers a woman can take – think about it, your vagina is made to allow a whole human being to pass through, obviously your vagina and the vagina of everyone else on the planet can take more than a few fingers!! It depends on the situation, for example when aroused your vagina becomes open and increases in size, muscles relax and the vagina lubricates, in this situation you’d be able to fit a lot more fingers up there than when you were not aroused. Women’s vagina’s can differ a lot too, some women will have larger vagina’s than others, some women’s fingers will also be bigger than other women’s fingers. Vaginal tightness isn’t a good thing, a tight vagina is the equivalent of a flaccid penis, actually your vagina cannot really become ‘tight’ or ‘loose’. If your vagina was tight then that would give you no control over muscles during sex so your vagina would be unresponsive, it would also make penetration painful because penetration would be forced. The vagina during sex is a warm welcoming place that easily allows a penis inside, the sensation of tightness men experience during intercourse is down to responsiveness, how your vaginal muscles grip the penis when aroused, it’s not a static state of ‘tightness’ that the vagina is in all the time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.