"The file nvrd32.sys could not be found" error in XP setup; cannot get out of setup or load OS?

I had Windows XP loaded on my computer, but the version was corrupt ("may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message), so recently I tried to correct it using a new XP CD. I started up a fresh install of XP and it progressed a little before giving the error "The file nvrd32.sys could not be... show more I had Windows XP loaded on my computer, but the version was corrupt ("may be a victim of software counterfeiting" message), so recently I tried to correct it using a new XP CD. I started up a fresh install of XP and it progressed a little before giving the error "The file nvrd32.sys could not be found". It says press any key to continue, but when I press any key, it says that the setup has failed and it's restarting my system. When it restarts, it returns to the setup screen and progresses to the error message again.

After a bit of researching online, I decided to try a different operating system entirely. I started an installation of Vista. My computer is new and compatible with Vista, this is no problem. The installation went through cleanly and I was able to use Vista until I restarted my computer for the first time. Now it goes back to XP setup, progresses to the error message, and asks me to restart my computer in an endless cycle. I have tried changing the boot order in BIOS but it seems to have no effect. For example, I tried setting all three boot devices to harddrive, all three to CDROM (with Vista CD in drive), and a variety of other choices) The XP CD is not even in the CD drive, so I have no idea why it's returning to XP setup every time I restart.

I cannot get to any operating system at this time, as it does not even let me choose to start anything but XP setup (which it did before - I was able to choose between Vista and XP Setup). Every time I start up, the computer automatically starts up XP setup.

In case this is useful, my boyfriend built this computer for me. The corrupt XP was the original operating system installed on this computer.

I am hoping someone might be able to help me fix this using only BIOS (no access to OS). I greatly appreciate your help!!