Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Why do some people think that The Wall is the best Pink Floyd album?

DSOTM is better

Favorite Answer

Hi there , I listened to all of PF albums and I surely think that "The Wall" is a great album , yet there are the following ones that are better in my view :

"Wish You Were Here"

"DSOTM"

"A Saucerful Of Secrets"

"Meddle"

*Then comes "The Wall" and I sometimes prefer "Obscured By Clouds" since I like PF's early blend with Psychedelia . I think that many people as you said present it as their best album because of eaither "the amount of work done on the album as an opera , ife + imagination story through songs" or because of "the popularity of the album" or simply because they like "Comfortably Numb" . So , (and I'm not judging) if you want to know a real deal PF fan , ask them about their "The Wall" favorite tracks . You will see that few of them will even list "Goodbye Blue Sky" or "Hey You" for example as a masterpiece of theirs , why ? because they are less overplayed than "Comfortably Numb" or "Run Like Hell" , hence (RADIO SINGLES FANS AND NOT ALBUM ROCK FANS) ....

Same reason some people think DSOTM is the best Pink Floyd album, different tastes in music and style.

Maybe because it's the one they made a feature film of, and more people getting into Floyd are persuaded early on to believe it's best because of the hit songs in that album. ("Comfortably Numb" and "Another Brick in the Wall pt.2") I believe "Animals" and "Wish you Were Here" are better albums than "The Wall".

<------Because they don't know about Atom Heart Mother. :)

Honestly though, if a Floyd fan loves The Wall more than any other album, they have much different musical tastes than me. The Wall was an album made by a band that completely hated each other and it shows...for a concept album it's completely non-cohesive in my opinion.

Why do some people think Dark Side of the Moon is the best album? Personally I like Wish You Were Here (the album, not the song), Animals, Atom Heart Mother, and A Saucerful of Secrets. Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall are great albums but definitely not their best, everyone says they're the best because they aren't true fans and never bother to delve deeper into their music.

Edit: Wow, I honestly deserve 2 thumbs down for not thinking Dark Side of the Moon is their best album? Grow up.

I pretty much love The Wall and DSOTM equally. :P

Probably because they like it better than Pink Floyd's other albums.

Because they've heard "Comfortably Numb" and "Another Brick in the Wall" and think they're the world's biggest Floyd fans by claiming they love the Wall.

forgive them, for they know not what they do. hands down it has to be dark side of the moon, syd barret fans will mention earlier stuff but dark side of the moon is not only floyds best album but maybe musics best album.

It makes the most sense. Pretty much anyone who wasn't around when Pink Floyd was huge can't make sense of the drippy flowy music. The Wall makes the most melodic sense of all their albums.