Should I buy a new desktop?

I've been reading about cloud computing. One article said that pc's are outdated and we will use something like a thin monitor connected to the "cloud network". I was going to buy a new desktop next month but would hate to spend the money. What do you think? Will I spend hundreds on something that will quickly be outdated and I will then have to buy something else to connect to the cloud?

Best Answer

While cloud is a great concept that may very well be in the future, it's definitely not the near future. Have no worries in buying a computer now, it isn't going to be outdated by cloud anytime soon. It's going to take a long, long time before cloud computing is the norm. The technology to allow for people to have nothing but a monitor that connects to the cloud simply isn't even developed for the consumer level yet. There needs to be huge companies created which actually rent the equipment, service it, develop it, etc. It's not as simple of a transition as box TVs were to flat panel. It requires a complete overhaul of the way computers and internet is seen, which as you can imagine, isn't just going to be created in a matter of months or years (especially in this economy).

Not to mention, even when the availability of cloud computing does arrive for the general public, it's not going to be an overnight transition for everyone. It'll be a slow transition as people begin accepting it and tossing their old computers and purchasing/renting the new. Meaning people will continue using their normal computers long after cloud computing arrives, as they will not suddenly be unusable.

Having said that, technology doubles every 18 months. So whatever you buy now, in 18 months, there will be something twice as good. This is simply something you cannot avoid. So while nobody can ensure their newly bought computer will be up to standards forever, it's not going to be deemed useless by the cloud network just yet.

So go buy that computer and help stimulate the economy! :)

I'm glad you're keeping with the times, but that technology will not be widely, publicly available for many years. Get your new computer, because unless you're going to spend a half million on your cloud enabled devices next year, just stick with old fashioned desktops.

• Ben D

Real PCs arent going anywhere for most people. That is a new immerging thing that will probably take off in 5 years or so. I wouldnt worry about it.