If a person signs over their rights to a previous child and then starts dating?

If a person signs over their rights to a previous child and then starts dating a woman who has a child who is in the process of fighting for custody of her child... does that affect her chances of getting custody of her child...

oh i am sorry i am asking this for my sister... i myself am not in a custody battle.

Favorite Answer

It depends on your state.

In some states, being in a relationship outside of marriage is considered a "bad influence" on the child. It may also matter whether the relationship is gay or straight. (Dating in a straight relationship may not be all that bad in the court's eyes, and being in a gay relationship may be, depending on your state - and your judge.)

Things like drug use, fighting, etc., are more likely to affect her chances of getting custody. If you're not married to her, anything about *your* previous relationships (or children) isn't likely to influence her custody. (Though if you have a history or a criminal record for child abuse or criminal abandonment, etc., it could.)

Source(s): I am an attorney licensed to practice law in North Carolina.