Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 1 decade ago

Do i need a license to take my boat up the river thames?

I want to take my RIB up the river thames as far as Reading. I have looked at pages on the internet but could not find anything about licenses or registering my boat I'll be commming from the channel islands so not sure on speed limits on the thames either?

• Bung 2
    Favorite Answer

The regulating authority on the River Thames in England is the Environment Agency.

All that you need to know can be viewed in PDF format if you Google the following:-

THE THAMES NAVIGATION LICENSING AND GENERAL BYELAWS 1993

For other River Thames around the world, such as New Zealand (Waihou River) or in Connecticut you will need to seek local regulations.

Source(s): Environment Agency (UK)

You cannot even have a boat on the Thames river without it first being registered with the EA . This applies to all types of pleasure craft, including motor cruisers, sailing cruisers, narrow boats, open vessels such as RIBs, canoes or rowing boats and houseboats.

1st. you have to register (believe it or not) by post. 2nd, your vessel has to have a "Boat Safety Certificate" before you can register it on the Thames. and 3rd. it is all a very frustrating experience.

The links below however... will help you get through it, best I know how.

John

The wake is the waves left at the back of your boat because it strikes for the time of the water. they are able to erode the river economic organization and fill the waders of unwary fishermen. no longer a thank you to make buddies. The fines and liabilities would be many instances extra advantageous than the cost of having a license or adhering to the cost regulations - i do no longer know why you may take the possibility somewhat, it extremely is like attempting to steer sparkling of the booze bus.

Thames Boat Licence