How do you make fluted glasses out of polymer clay?

I'm working on making a themed dining set which includes a set of six fluted stem glasses. I'm not entirely sure how to do this though, and so far I've not been able to find a good tutorial on how to make any fluted glasses or glasses with stems (like wine glasses or goblets).

I'm going to be using a polymer clay to make these, and they're going to be 1:12 scale. Unfortunately cannot buy them off a site because these are supposed to be made off of designs I was given to work with.

To answer a few questions:

By fluted I mean that the stem is a flat trumpet shape, like the base of a wineglass, and the top of the glass radiates out like a flower. I have an idea of how to make it at least translucent enough to see tinted resin or liquid clay inside of it though.

The color I'm going to be going for with them is a green similar the uranium glass that was produced in the 1920s except frosted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

Favorite Answer

First, I'm not sure exactly what "fluted" means in this case. Are the stems of the goblets actually fluted (vertically), or is this term just related to the slender kinds of "flutes" or stemmed glasses used for drinking champagne, etc?

Also, if these are only to be 3/4" tall (which would be a 1:12 scale), those would be pretty darned miniature.

You might still want to use a permanent armature under the clay stem area like a piece of wire, a pin or slender nail, or perhaps a toothpick if it weren't too thick, just so you could bake them standing up (or lay them down on a cloud of fiberfill or in a pile of baking soda instead), or you could just use the wire/toothpick/whatever as "the" stem without any clay then just press on the clay glass bowl and base parts.

You can get some ideas of ways to make drinking glasses, cups, etc., with polymer clay from this page at my site:

http://glassattic.com/polymer/miniatures.htm ...click on the *Dishware* category

...but most of the info I have (on other pages of the site) that relate to goblets, etc, have to do with "covering" or embellishing parts of real glass (life-size) stemware.

You don't mention anything about the pattern or color of your designs.

Are you wanting to make these glasses "clear" or tinted-transparent? That's pretty hard to do with regular polymer clay, though certain techniques would let you get close particularly if the glasses were *filled* with an apparent "liquid." You can easily make polymer clay look like ceramic or frosted glass, etc. though.

HTH,

Diane B.

Polymer clay is baked at under 300F (usually 275F) which causes no problems for any kind of glass unless you chill the glass and drop down on a hot preheated surface, which you are unlikely to do. Thicker glass might be better off with slow heating to avoid thermal shock and not be sited directly over an element - like in a shallow toaster oven. The paint on the back of mirrors might be a problem and I were cutting mirror glass for projects, I would certainly run a scrap piece through the heating process before investing a lot time on the polymer decorations. Like all clays, polymer shrinks during the baking, so encasing in a frame is likely to result in cracking - either allow some extra size or do the frame in sections. Be prepared to glue pieces in some cases.

You would have to use an armature inside the clay stem. I would suggest a thin wooden dowel or skewer, depending on the size. Cover it with clay, form the base and cup. Since they will be fairly small you shouldn't have a problem with them becoming warped in the oven.

Good luck!

Source(s): I am a Canadian Sculpey mail order supplier and teacher. www.polymerclaycanada.com