pros and cons of bunk beds?

Favorite Answer

We have two kids two years apart that are sharing a room. We bought bunk beds that stack and kept the bottom bunk disassembled in the garage and just set up the top twin. My son moved straight from his crib to his twin bed. The great part is that it already has a rail that goes around the bed with just a little space by the foot (where a ladder would go). We put a bathroom stepstool by the foot of the bed so he could climb in and out by himself (he moved into the twin at 20months, when he first climbed out of his crib and split his lip falling out). Right now, my son is in the twin and my daughter is still in her crib (at 2 she still shows no signs of wanting to climb out). We plan to move my son onto the top bunk at 41/2 and invest in a baby rail for the lower bunk for my 2 1/2 year old when we move her out of the crib. Because of the rail, I don't worry about my son accidently rolling out of the top bunk in his sleep and he's been taught not to climb/sit/lean over the railing while it's still on the floor, so I don't worry about him doing it after it's been raised up. Because they share a room, the bunks open up a lot of floor space for playing/desks/train table etc.

1

Source(s): Ultimate 16000 Woodworking Plans - http://WoodworkingPlans.siopu.com/?JlS

Well, they're nice because they take up less floor space. The problems with bunk beds are the risk of falling out (even 4 year old kids fall out and break bones) and the difficulty of making the bed. Climbing onto the top bunk and trying to get sheets on a mattress is a horrible pain! My suggestion (and what I'm doing for my kids' room): get a set of bunk beds that can either be stacked or set next to each other as plain twin beds. That way you can use them either way! If your kids get too tall to be using bunks or you decide climbing onto them is too much work, you can just use them as twins and pack the ladder away.

• Amalia

Takes up less space than 2 beds separately (pro), rolling over and falling off the top bunk (con). Personal preference is top because I don't want to be on the bottom if the top were to break and come crashing down (personal fear).

pros - They don't take up as much space as two separate beds

Kids love them

cons - someone might fall off the top bunk

it's a long fall if you fall out from the top bunk

I had bunk beds when I was young and used to fall out all the time, back then we didn't have safety bars.

These days though they have the safety bar so it might be alright.

They are great leaves more more in bedroom but you might have a fight over who sleeps on top and on bottom.

• Carlos