Kiler D asked in HealthWomen's Health · 10 years ago

PCOS-Endocrinologist or Gynecologist?

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS. My endocrinologist referred me to a gyno for the PCOS but I'm not sure whether to go to her or find another endo that specialized in PCOS. I'm 33 and I'm sure I DO NOT want anymore children, so I don't need to see a fertility specialist. I also do not have diabetes or even pre-diabetes(just got tested). Any advice?

Favorite Answer

Both of these problems are directly related. The pituitary axis is made up of 4 glands, the thyroid, ovaries, adrenals, and the pituitary. When any one of these organs become insufficient, it affects them all. Having PCOS will affect your thyroid function. If you treat the thyroid with medication, you will find the thyroid will deteriorate and you will be on medication for the rest of your life. You could have an iodine deficiency as well, but I would solve the ovary problem first, then see how the thyroid responds. I would NOT go to any doctor to solve this problem because it can be solved easily by you if you understand how. Doctors will use drugs and surgery as their solutions.

Please, do yourself a huge favor and deal with the PCOS problem in a nutritional way and solve the problem. Doctors use drugs and surgery as their solution to issues like this and all that does is give you "make believe health." You always have the medical option and after trying the natural option for about 3 weeks, you can make your decision in a more educated way.

"Normalizing" hormones by simply giving you synthetic hormone pills violates the basic principle of healing. Instead, whenever possible, you should strive to normalize the hormones on your own. In your case, by changing your diet, you can start on the road to healing.

The reason why changing to a diet based on the principles of "Nourishing Traditions," a book by Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig, Ph.D. is the first step in the therapy of PCOS. Your ovaries need the animal fats, and yes, even the cholesterol found in food in order to make estrogen and progesterone, the correct female hormones.

Swollen ovaries is a condition analogous to goiter, when the thyroid swells in response to iodine deficiency. Goiters often also result in a hormonal imbalance leading to hypothyroidism. In the case of PCOS, the starvation of the ovaries causes them to become cystic, swollen and eventually unable to regulate the synthesis of their hormones.

The other main dietary trigger for this imbalance is that when the proper dietary fats are missing, they are inevitably replaced by excessive carbohydrate consumption. This results in excessive insulin production, weight gain, abdominal bloating, and eventually will itself cause hormonal shifts. The biochemistry of this process is well described in the book, "The Schwarzbein Principle" which also suggests a diet based on the principles in the book, "Nourishing Traditions," along with a restriction to about 75 grams of carbohydrates per day. More good fats and fewer carbohydrate foods should help in restoring your hormones to their proper balance.

In addition to the dietary program, there are many natural nutrients that I have been shown in the medical literature to help PCOS. The first is the protomorphogen extract from Standard Process called Symplex F. This is a mixture of specially processed glandular extracts from the four organs that make up the so-called pituitary axis--the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal glands and the ovaries. We now know that these glands compensate for each other, and that they all get ill as a group. I usually recommend taking 1-2 tablets per day for one whole year to help normalize the function of these important organs. You should be able to get the Symplex F from your local pharmacy.

The final therapy that I recommend for PCOS is a 50/50 mixture of the herbal extracts of Peony lactiflora and Glycyrrhiza uralensis (commonly known as licorice). There have been three studies in the literature showing that this combination of herbs can result in a complete remission in PCOS, and that it does so by normalizing adrenal function and reducing testosterone levels. It is important to use the correct amounts that were also indicated in these studies. I recommend the Mediherb extracts and suggest 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the mixture, 2-3 times per day. I usually suggest using this mixture for six months with breaks of a week or two every 4-6 weeks."

The last girl I suggested this too, had complete change in acne production, her hair became normal, and she lost her oily skin in 3 weeks. Her next concern was to ask me how to get rid of the acne scars from the PCOS she had suffered with for several years. She said doctors were no help to her and she was at her wits end.

Birth control pills are the worst way to deal with PCOS. All that does is give you the "make believe health" and demonstrating very clearly that doctors have NO clue about what they are doing in regard to nutrition and how the body works in regard to nutrition that nourishes the body and does NOT abuse it with drugs.

This solution is not expensive, by the way, and you should see results in a few weeks.

In regard to not wanting anymore children, you may want to look into tubal ligation. After having that done, you will need to remediate the scars and that can be done relatively easily and taking the proper nutrition prior to the procedure, you can minimize the effects.

good luck to you

Source(s): CNT, B.A. biology & chemistry advanced nutritional research
  • lauby

Endocrinologist Pcos

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avAr4

A reproductive endocrinologists (RE) would be most ideal. However, they are not easily found without living in a large city or the ability and willingness to travel. Next, I would recommend an endocrinologist recommended by your gynecologist. Even if it's not required for insurance, your gyno should understand and support your request for someone who specializes in hormonal disorders. If you are simply trying to manage PCOS and live in a small town, a gynecologist would be sufficient. However, if trying to conceive (TTC), take a step up to an endo... Once you become pregnant, you will start seeing your gyno again (who will now be your obstetrician).

Hypothyroidism, or low thyroid function, is a silent epidemic, according to many functional medicine doctors. How to cure hypothyroidism naturally https://tr.im/W7zzq

People can suffer for years with symptoms that our conventional medical system frequently doesn’t know how to treat because complaints seem scattered or vague and often there is no pill for the ill(s).

What’s worse, in most cases, hypothyroidism isn’t rooted in a thyroid problem in the first place. It’s rooted in an immune system gone awry, but most doctors don’t test for the antibodies that show the presence of autoimmunity.

Get Ovarian Cyst Miracle!