Isn't it kind of screwed up that you can only get divorced under the circumstance of adultery and not abuse?

I found a girls question on here her husband threatens her and has held a gun to her head. That is crap that Christianity says you can't get a divorce unless adultery. Also it says you commit adultery if you marry a divorced woman. How can you Christians just sit back and believe that? How can you say the Christian God is merciful? Here are the verses if you don't believe me. Don't you think a perfect God would have added in abuse as well to those verses?

Matthew 19:3-9 (New International Version)

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'[b]? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 (New International Version)

10To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

• Tanya
    Favorite Answer

The thing is, as much as i hate our "corinthians dude", he is right that the religion hates women. or at least has no real place for us.

Women are property. children and women were abused because it was the only way to "keep us in line" and make sure we "followed the father's will".

yeah women!

I believe that "marital unfaithfulness" would certainly include abuse. Is an abusive husband a faithful husband? I think not.

Don't say "Christianity says" when you are limiting scripture to your own narrow interpretations.

And if you're not a Christian, why do you even care what we believe? We're not the religion that's running around suicide bombing the "infidels". If you disagree with what the Bible teaches, or whatever you think it teaches, then you've made your choice.

Does God Hate All Divorcing? Please look at the link below:

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19990422/box_05.htm

God is not harsh, mean or cruel. There are restrictions that a man must abide by if he wants God's blessing or answers to his prayers. (1 Peter 3:7) 7 YOU husbands, continue dwelling in like manner with them according to knowledge, assigning them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one, since YOU are also heirs with them of the undeserved favor of life, in order for YOUR prayers not to be hindered." Does this appear to be a God that would allow a man to beat and abuse his wife without answering to him. Please click on the link and find out what God really feels about Divorce.

Take care,

Nikkita

Source(s): Watchtower.org The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

My take on it is this. If you cannot get your abusive "christian" husband to correct his ungodly behavior that is putting your life at risk.. God would understand full well, if you had to divorce him, and wouldn't have an issue with you remarrying.

The question is, IF a MAN is truly a Christian would he be abusing his wife.... Did God bring them together.. or were they acting on their own will? God will not bless a marriage or man that is abusive, particularly if he refuses to correct his ways.

If it were me.. I would be willing and comfortable if God asked me about that decision, when I gave account. If it's considered a sin, it's one of many. But I don't believe that God would think it was a SIN to protect yourself, and get out of an unequally yolked marriage.

• There are many passages in the Bible that speak against spouse abuse. Unfaithfulness can be defined as *any* breaking of the marital covenant. Abuse qualifies as breaking faith, because a man who abuses his wife is not holding up his end.

So I'm afraid you're mistaken.

That is not what Jesus said. Adultery is unfaithfulness. That includes abuse. If the husband is doing things that are illegal then God would definatly want the wife to call the police, have a restraining order on him and divorce him.

Source(s): The Bible and common sense.
  • I assume you presently know what a test is. The scriptural O.T. is the law of Moses; not Genesis-Malachi (test?). Man (or woman) can be separated for other things too; Ezra, and Nehemiah (both books; last chapter as I receall presently). Even if 'kids' are involved.

You know what I think about that. Marriage is a covenant and adultery is breaking that covenant. That covenant can be broken in many ways. I expand adultery to anything that breaks the promise and threatening my life, health, safety, well being, etc definitely breaks the promise.

As usual the point of this speech is lost. Jesus is trying to drive home the sanctity of marriage and encourage people to abstain from marriage unless they are willing to commit for life. If you keep reading you will encounter the "eunuch" speech where Jesus tells us it is best to commit your life to God rather than a spouse. He also acknowledges that not everyone is capable of this so the point in this entire message is do not get married with such callous disregard to the importance of marriage. (God forgives and divorce is just one more sin to add to the list.)

this presumption and allegation is totally not true

Moses taught that divorce should be granted for several reason among them are adultery and as Jesus said: hard heartedness.

in fact i can think of a few more exceptions and reasons for divorce and in righteousness.

some people marry for the sake of conspiracy, to destroy a persons life. if such a satanist conspirator actually does exist in a marriage it would BETTER to divorce without hesitation.

I'd hope that a people have the common sense enough to get to know someone before jumping into marriage with them. Plus a man of God would, a real man of God, would not abuse his wife.