Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is your opinion of this article in the New England Journal of Medicine regarding Obamacare survey?

http://www.nejmjobs.org/rpt/health-reform-may-redu...

Primary care, which is already experiencing significant shortages by many accounts, could stand to be the most affected, based on the survey. About 25 percent of respondents were primary care physicians (defined as internal medicine and family medicine in this case), and of those, 46 percent indicated that they would leave medicine — or try to leave medicine — as a result of health reform.

Overall, almost 1/3 of our physicians have indicated that they would leave the practice of medicine should health care reform (as written), goes through.

How will losing almost 1/3 of our physicians impact the quality of health care?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Di
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think the article is accurate and reinforces the wake up call that quality has not been addressed in Obama's wish list for health care. As the article suggests, if there are not enough providers then health care for all becomes moot.

"Primum nil nocere."First, do no harm - this is the first sentence of the attached article written by Dr. Milton R Wolf, who is also Obama's cousin and opposed to his health care reform. I believe Obama is doing great harm to the medical profession and to patients alike. Unfortunately, by ramming through his ill-thought out "health care reform" package, our leader has not addressed expectations of quality and how to keep medical professionals sufficiently compensated and motivated in order to participate. As if these were not concerns enough, I also worry about the dilution of quality by reducing qualifications and education for licensed professionals within the medical profession. The last time I went to a "doctor" I was seen by a PA because there are not enough MD's to go around. The Obama plan does a great disservice to medicine.

• bob
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I don't know. Maybe after a couple of weeks working at the 7-11 they will decide that being a physician does have some advantages. Actually what I think is this is just more Repub BS. Anyone who thinks ANY phisician will quit because of the health care bill need to go get a mental check up. It makes no more sense than the Republican lies during the election. Remember: Obama will take our guns. Obama will open concentration camps for conservatives. All the business people will "go Gault" and abandon their businesses. Terrorists will be attacking us every day. Why are you people soooooo gullible?!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The correct answer is that ObamaCare is a 2000+ page pile of crap.

the liberals do mean well IN THEIR OWN MINDS, however so did Adolf Hitler and the Nazis IN HIS/THEIR OWN MIND.

There are ways to fix the medical insurance problems. However, this ObamaCare monstrosity was created behind closed doors in the darkness of backroom deals and was designed specifically to cater to special interest groups. This liberal manifesto is a boondoggle. If the lawmakers had not exempted themselves and their union friends from every single variation of ObamaCare, then there may have been a resemblance of fairness.

Fairness is a prevailing theme for human beings. This liberal ObamaCare theme is warped into a science fiction monster by the diseased liberal brain.

People are not happy with this thing. It's the creature from the dark lagoon.

How will losing 1/3 impact? Answer: Negatively. Things are going to get real bad if it passes.

• jehen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Just like they were all going to quit 20 years ago with skyrocketing mal practice insurance costs. The costs went up, we have more Physicians than ever.

Also notice that 96% say that reform is needed. Whether this bill passes or not, they will see tighter payments on their medicare billings. If this reform does not pass they will see more and more patients who can't pay and less and less government money to make up the difference. What will they do then? Like everyone else grumbling about this, they want to have their cake and eat it too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think it is straight and to the point, most physicians are independent thinkers, thank God, They have paid their dues and continue to pay high mal practice insurance rates, they are also small business people and the government control over treatment and fees is more than they should be expected to bear

Source(s): May God Bless you and keep our country safe from the pr0gressive axis of evil;0bama,Pel0si,& Reid
  • barry
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

i understand, its all bad, alot of people in medical school right now are thinking of changing there majors as well ike my nephew. it takes a really long time to be a doctor and they don't want to do it so they can work on goverment pay. were talking 4 years premed, 4 years med, plus internship and specialty. alot of doctors who didn't want to make peanuts in there orignal countries that came here will most likly move to somewhere that has a fair system.

america get ready for them long lines because everything the republicans said will become trure.

it will get so bad that they will start relocating doctors from the midwest against there will and then people to the midwest in the name of healthcare, that is the start of communism and then one day soon we will start attending nuclear missle parades.

• 1 decade ago

I understand doctors are fearful but they have breathe a sigh of relief because their fears are exaggerated. As your article indicates, the doctors had the same high emotions when malpractice insurance was high. Now, malpractice insurance is at a forty year low and there was no mass exodus of doctors that left.

Let them leave. We will do what we did the last time we had a doctor shortage. We imported doctors from overseas. They meet the same standards that US doctors meet and the quality of care did not suffer.

• 1 decade ago

It is going to be very hard to have universal health care if there are no Drs to treat patients. Many people will die waiting for treatment probably 10x the amount of people liberals are saying die from lack of insurance.

Most everybody wants healthcare reform just not obama's.

• 1 decade ago

Losing the 1/3 will help to reduce cost and get physians that will care about taking care of people, not care for their PAY!

• 1 decade ago

so 1/3rd decide to go unemployed? Why because they wouldn't get kickbacks from HMO's? Screw them. There will be many many more to take thier place. But hey they would be paying less income taxes as well so conservatives should be happy. And making the enemplyment rate higher so they would give more fodder to the conservative parties. ahh the Cut off the nose to spite the face solution. gotta love it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.