Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

can you recommend some books for me?

Ok so I'm a big reader. I don't read just for fun. But if I find a book that interests me, I'll read it. Im 14 and a girl. But I'm more mature in musical and literary taste than my fellow teens. (I'm not into rap or pop, I like Beatles, Queen, Aerosmith, etc. I DO NOT read Twilight!!) Lately for a book report I've been reading some classic books on totalitarian governments and communism. I read Animal Farm, Nineteen Eighty-Four (LOVE IT) and I just finished Fahrenheit 451. I find those so interesting, and they opened my mind up. Because people think that in 1984, when the government is trying to control what Winston is thinking, they think it is farfetched. But in real life, the media is trying to control how we think!

And I just love those kinds of books that teach you something, and allow you to look at the world in a different way.

So can you recommend a book for me?

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm in the middle of Catcher in the Rye)

Favorite Answer

As a librarian, I'd suggest you try these:

This perfect day by Ira Levin

This Perfect Day (1970), by Ira Levin, is a heroic science fiction novel of a technocratic utopia. It is often compared to Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

The Fountainhead's protagonist, Howard Roark, is an individualistic young architect who chooses to struggle in obscurity rather than compromise his artistic and personal vision. The book follows his battle to practice what the public sees as modern architecture, which he believes to be superior, despite an establishment centered on tradition-worship

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter is the debut 1940 novel by American author Carson McCullers. Written in Charlotte, North Carolina in a house on East Blvd, it is about a deaf man named John Singer and the people he encounters in a 1930s mill town in the U.S. state of Georgia

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

The story focuses on a human raised on Mars and his adaptation to, and understanding of, humans and their culture, which is portrayed as an amplified version of consumerist and media-driven 20th-century America.

Valentine Michael Smith is the son of astronauts from the first expedition to the planet Mars. Orphaned after the entire crew died, Smith was raised in the culture of the Martian natives, beings with full control over their minds and bodies (learned skills which Smith acquires).

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Katniss has been providing for her family since her father died, but is she strong enough to win the Hunger Games, a deadly competition that can have only one winner?

Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff

Jane Charlotte earns her living by killing bad people for good reasons in this high-octane, clever thriller of conspiracies, revenge, and secret government agencies.

Hope you enjoy some of these. Happy Reading

I'm fourteen and I love to read, too (:

Now, this is a little 'young', but it definitely makes you think differently - The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's about a boy living in a 'utopian' society, and finds that "not everyone is happy in a perfect world". I LOVE it.

Also, you could try, since you love classics -

The Great Gatsby

The Hunchback of Notre Dame [the book, not the Disney movie]

Unwind by Neal Shusterman is a Young Adult novel, not as classic as Fahrenheit 451, but definitely just as intriguing. It's about a society in the near future where teens can be 'unwound' [taken apart and parts distributed] because abortion is illegal so 'unwinding' is the alternative.

Crank and Glass by Ellen Hopkins are about drug abuse, if you're into that.

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins is about three teens who attempted suicide.

Hope I helped! (:

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin was the book that helped inspire George Orwell's 1984 and is my favorite dystopian future novel; also try The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for a more feminine perspective and Under the Skin by Michel Faber is incomparable - a page-turner dealing with all those themes and more

The Stand by Stephen King is epic literature by any standards even if it is also popular fiction

The Great Gatsby is an American classic

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey is a great modern allegory

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is my favorite book of all time, it has great characters, intense thematic content and a riveting story

I admire you - way to blaze your own trail and find great books just for yourself! You give me faith in humanity.

PS - based on what you said about your music tastes, check out Tori Amos. She'll blow your mind -infinite depths, brilliant musically and lyrically.

Happy reading (and listening)!

• If you like books like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. You might also like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. The story is set in a future society where humans are no longer born but instead grown from embryos in huge research labs. Years of trial and error has resulted in scientists being able to produce up to 15,000 individuals from a single embryo - all of which end up being twins. Immediately they are conditioned to think and feel and act in certain ways which make society what it should be - happy, stable, strong, and united. As they sleep they are played voice recordings which, to cut a long story short, programme them into what society wants them to be. One of the many recordings being "Everyone belongs to everyone else".

Another book you might enjoy is The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick. It's based in a world where World War II ended a lot differently and the daily life under the victorious axis powers - Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

Hope this helps. :D

Btw, Queen is awesome. haha

I think if you enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 you might like The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson (see below for review).

By the way, if you haven't seen the film version of Fahrenheit 451, you must--it's excellent!

OMG you sound just like me at that age (and lets face it now) I, like you did not like the twilight series so you should like the books I like. Unfortunately since i don't know what you have read already & since there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many excellent books out there just visit the following website:

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestno...

they also have a top 100 nonfiction list and a wide list of many other books. My favorite list is the one for the 100 best novels, I have the New York Times as well and its very similar. Im actually in the process of reading reading the list from start to finish myself

Have fun reading!!!

i suggest you try something a little older and more challenging like The Picture of Dorian Grey, and see which direction this leads you. Personally once was introduced to older literature i found a world i did not know existed. :)

P.S. just wondering if you have ever tried listening to any classical music, if you know anyone that loves it ask them to play some for you. You may be pleasantly surprised!

You listed all the books I was given to read by my english teacher. (he had good taste for modern novels that make you think)

The only ones on his list that you didn't mention were lord of the flies and equus (a play).