How did Federer win the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for 2009?

He swore at the umpire in the final of USO, dropping the "s" and "f" bombs. He said: "DON'T FU*KING TELL ME THE RULES". It's clearly audible in some Youtube videos and I heard it live. This must have distracted Del Po (a guy who idolizes Federer), who went on to lose the very... show more He swore at the umpire in the final of USO, dropping the "s" and "f" bombs. He said: "DON'T FU*KING TELL ME THE RULES". It's clearly audible in some Youtube videos and I heard it live. This must have distracted Del Po (a guy who idolizes Federer), who went on to lose the very next game on his serve and the 3rd set, hitting two df's along the way. This behaviour adds to the fact that Federer did not shake the umpire's hand in Doha (yes, Doha, there is a youtube video of it) after losing to Murray, and again in Miami after losing to Novak, where he also smashed his racquet. Also, let us not forget the crying display at the AO that must have taken a little from Nadal's victorious moment. And you can also add the "15" jacket that he wore right after beating Roddick, rubbing that win in the face of the dejected American. Federer did not deserve this award for 2009. Why wasn't Sam Querry considered? Why wasn't Nadal considered? The latter's consolation of Federer at the AO final was quite touching.
Update: Just to add to my final thought: Querry and Nadal may have been considered, but why didn't either of them win the award?
10 answers 10