How did Federer win the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for 2009?

He swore at the umpire in the final of USO, dropping the "s" and "f" bombs. He said: "DON'T FU*KING TELL ME THE RULES". It's clearly audible in some Youtube videos and I heard it live. This must have distracted Del Po (a guy who idolizes Federer), who went on to lose the very next game on his serve and the 3rd set, hitting two df's along the way. This behaviour adds to the fact that Federer did not shake the umpire's hand in Doha (yes, Doha, there is a youtube video of it) after losing to Murray, and again in Miami after losing to Novak, where he also smashed his racquet. Also, let us not forget the crying display at the AO that must have taken a little from Nadal's victorious moment. And you can also add the "15" jacket that he wore right after beating Roddick, rubbing that win in the face of the dejected American. Federer did not deserve this award for 2009. Why wasn't Sam Querry considered? Why wasn't Nadal considered? The latter's consolation of Federer at the AO final was quite touching.

Just to add to my final thought: Querry and Nadal may have been considered, but why didn't either of them win the award?

• Favorite Answer

Because he does more than any other player to help children and adults from Haiti, Ethiopia and loads of other places. He put together the Hit for Haiti in Australia and offered to play the entire time because some of the others had matches the next day. All the other players look up to him, and even voted him for an award which shows that he's really a nice person. Roddick (who has a great reason to hate him) said he's really nice, humble and not high and mighty at all. He's normally the calmest player. It was a final and Del Po did stretch the rules a bit, Roger was angry and the umpire told him to be quiet. He was mad and he couldn't help it. You'd react the same in such a pressured environment. He apologised and paid a fine, it happens rarely, it was only a big deal because it was him. He's a brilliant role model, it's only expected that frustration gets to him at some point, it happens to all of us.

The jacket debate has been settled, nike gave it to him and when a sponsor gives you something, you wear it. Roddick wasn't at all bothered. And the crying thing has been done to death. Everyone knows that tournament meant a lot to him, it was a low point. You try fighting with everything you have for hours and hours and failing. Rafa was AMAZING, we all know that. It was a sweet moment and he isn't the only one. Murray got upset this year, Roger said in an interview "i thought he was doing okay until he whispered to me ""i think there'll be some tears"" and i said ""you'll be okay"" ". Nadal also cries. It's great to show how much the game means to you, it just makes me admire him more.

EUROPA - I think you'll find sportsmanship is behaving in a way which is admirable and gives the sport a good name. It's being admired by fellow players and using your sport to do good things. I would probably agree with you if other players felt the same way but considering he's well liked by the two players who have the greatest rivalries with him (Nadal and Roddick) i don't think any of these points are valid. And anyway, what's the point in complaining about it, there's nothing you can do to change it. Whining won't take it away from him.

He may have had a few isolated moments but overall behaved well for the year. Nadal is always a good sport but was probably rejected on the grounds that he was absent from the tour for much of the year with injuries. However, I don't see the crying incident as poor sportsmanship. He'd invested a lot into the tournament and the emotions just overcame him. It wasn't like he spat at Nadal or refused to appear at the trophy presentation or anything. As for the jacket, that was Nike's idea, not Federer's. If your clothing sponsor wants you to wear something, its probably best to do as they say.

the majority of individuals are happy for Fed's victory I suppose. so let's just accept the fact that Federer is the greatest of all times. Federer is just a human. seems like you just focus on the negative things that he has done, what about the good things?

Nothing in this question really matters.

Get over it.

Nadal behavior on court is not good.

Federer deserves to win Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award.

Actually Federer didn't deserve it, Nadal should have won for injuring himself so that everyone could kick his a$$ for once, that's a true sportsman.

• Yes. Aaron I agree with you, but there's nothing we can do now. BTW, I do not think it is dumb question, unlike those biased and hypocritical Fed fans. Federer in my opinion is a very arrogant man, but other seem blind to not notice. Truly, when he wins, he rubs it in everyone's face, but I think that this "sportsmanship" award was more of a "popular" award. People need to realise what difference between being a sportsman and being popular. In conclusion, I do agree with you. In my opinion, I believe that Nadal should have won this award, because he never talks crap about anyone (unlike Federer) plus when he loses, at least he signs autographs for his fans, again, unlike Federer.

FTW- the person above who said that he does more for people (ex. haiti, ethiopia), I think you're mistaking a sportsman and a humanitarian.

federer is the goat, just stop thowing tantrums and asking dumb questions

• Zarfot

Pfft... Pathetic questions like these just want to make me cry... Seriously get ova it buddy..

I think you need to get over yourself, seriously as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

I sense jealousy here...