Purchasing firearms at a Gun Show?

Are firearm purchases at a Gun Show considered a Private Party sale?

Update:

Are firearm purchases at a Gun Show considered a Private Party sale?

Basically, ARIZONA law says I must be 21 to purchase a handgun. but I'm able to purchase one if i am purchasing through a private party. I'm 18

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on the person that is selling it. You will be able to easily tell if the person is just a collector of guns trying to sell off some of his lot or an actual firearms dealer. There will usually be a banner that shows the corporate affiliation of the person.

As for a private party sale, unless you're buying from a firearms dealer or a company, yes the gun will be a private party sale. All persons who sell guns at the gun shows I have been to have to have a FFL license in order to display their lot and make sales. If you are out of state, you will have to have the gun shipped to a registered FFL dealer in your home state.

On your part, unless you're buying for a company or dealer, it will be a private purchase. Depending on which state you reside will decide how anonymous the sale truly is. Many states have a data base for persons who have purchased/transferred a gun through a FFL dealer, which I believe is an invasion of privacy and an abrupt disregard of the 2nd Amendment.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

If you are allowed by ARIZONA law to purchase a handgun at 18 then ARIZONA law says that you only have to be 18 to purchase a handgun

It is FEDERAL law that prevents you from buying from an FFL until you are 21

All laws that apply outside the gun show apply inside the gun show

If Az allows for an 18 year old to buy a handgun in private purchase then the same holds true at the gun show

Gun shows will have both FFL and private party sales, if the state allows that in public venues

Here's the only problem

A lot of private sellers at gunshow still won't sell to an 18 year old

• 1 decade ago

This changes from state to state.

Basic rule of thumb.

If you are buying it from a FFL, its like buying it from any other gun store.

If you buy it from another guy who is walking around trying to sell his " Oh so clean " ( whatever you like ), and he isn't an FFL it would be a private party transfer.

The better question here is what are you trying to get around?

The 21 FFL handgun laws?

• mack_9
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

A gunshow is just a place not anything special. If a dealer is at the gun show, you have to follow all the laws just like you were purchasing it from the dealers place of business. If you are purchasing it from an individual, you will have to follow all of the laws just like if you were purchasing it from an individual at his house, your house, or a Walmart parking lot.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends. If you buy it from someone that has a table in the show they are a dealer. You'll go through the same ATF background checks and paperwork as if you bought it at their store. If you buy one from someone who is just walking around in there with a gun then it would be private party.

• 1 decade ago

If you buy from a private party, yes.

If you buy from a FFL then it's just like being in his store.

• 1 decade ago

No. Private sales are considred private. Most booths are dealers and as such you will still have to fill out the same paperwork and wait for the same phone call as you would at a store.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

No. That is not private sell. Private is only considered when you buy secretly. But they are risky. I know an online web site where they sell fire arms as well as they give training.

• 1 decade ago

If the seller does not have a ffl, then it is considered a private sale.

• 1 decade ago

...That depends on the state, and whether or not you are buying it from an FFL.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.