Christians - Are you saying that in you lived in the times of the OT, you would follow OT rules?

Many Christians dismiss the OT as they say it was rules for a different time and people (Even though the 10 commandments are in the OT). OT = Old Testament(as some seem not to know this)

Is they any Christian that would admit that they would follow God's rules if they lived in the times of the OT?

Would you stone gays, non Christians, people who work on the Sabbath and rape victims if you lived in these times?

Or would you tell your God he is wrong to instruct these things even in these times?

Remember you are killing these people just because who they are, not because they are hurting anyone.

Bible verses(as I know if I don't include them some will deny these exist):

Dt.13:6-10 (non Christian)

Lev.20:13 (homosexuals)

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 (rape victims)

Numbers 15:32-56 (working on the Sabbath)

@@insertcoolname - thought I said different time and PEOPLE? Would you stone innocent people is the question if placed in this situation?

• Zeus
    Favorite Answer

Excellent question. Wether one wants to deny the text or not, the FACT of the matter is that that the OT contains inhumane laws such as stoning your insubordinate child.

("If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

In Addition to this brutality, the OT contains numerous passages that show god ordering rape.

(But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves" (Numbers 31: 18)

There are many more quotes i could mention. I have noticed two types of responses in the answers offered to you, firstly, some xtians simply deny that the OT contains hideous atrocities against humanity (which is why i included the quotes). The second type of response goes something like this, "it was a different time and nobody followed all the rules"... Well this may be true. However, it seems apparent that these laws were perceived as inhumane even in this "oh so different time, (were children needed to be publicly tortured for being rude). This is probably the reason why people did not adhere to the rules. I was under the impression that religion was meant to be a moral compass, what kind of a god would create such horrific laws. So horrific in fact that his own chosen people felt they could not even abide by them (then or now), So horrific, that he had to send his own son to be tortured to death in order to abolish them. This Morbid belief system can't possibly have a positive effect on anybodies psychology. I only hope that we can soon confine these nonsensical stories within the realms of mythology were they belong.

I would probably follows the rules if I was an ancient Israelite.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 does not specifically advocate stoning rape victims. The two verses you cite say that if a woman is engaged, and then she lays with another man in the city and does not cry for help, then both the man and woman should be stoned. Verses 25-26 clarify that if a woman is raped by a man in the country, then only the man is to be put to death.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10 says that if someone who is close to you entices you to worship a pagan god, then that person should be put to death.

I don't know. A lot depends upon the society we live in. The 1800's was a lot different from today, and we'd behave differently back then. People don't want to go against the crowd. Ancient Israel was even more different. As far as how I'd personally behave, I'd like to think I'd question whether the command to kill someone for these things came from God in fact.

On the other hand, God is God. If he did in fact order these things at that time, who would I be to question him?

this is why I'm not a christian anymore. When I bring this up to people that say they can save me they usually say "that's in the Bible?" lol How in the world can you save somebody with "The Word" when you don't even know what's in it? Also every christian I know just makes their own rules anyways. Homosexuality, sex before marriage, drunkenness, one night stands, sodomy, all these things clearly go against the bible's teachings. But if they just can't resist one of those things then they just make excuses about how that part of the bible is wrong.... even though its the word of god..? lol Why do you need a book to tell you how to live... especially if you don't even agree with your own holy book? lol I guess if they really were following the "good book" then they would have to stone everyone in the world to death and then after everybody was dead they would have stone themselves to death. Speaking of which I know allot of christians with suicidal thoughts and attempts. I used to be one myself. I'm trying to help one right now. "I'm saved by the grace of god and I hate myself and wanna die." it's the most ironic thing in the world.

to the answerer named friendship.... the one who said that these stupid rules were necessary because people were coming out of paganism....

I am a pagan. I resent that. You owe pagans here an apology.

coming out of paganism indeed!!! As though paganism were the Dark Ages. No, the Dark Ages are the times during Christian power when women burned at the stake for being something other than Christian.

As to whether they would follow those rules, sure they would. They are sheep now,, chances are they would have been sheep then too.

BAA BAA!!!!!!!

• Hogie

Your question supposes that all people who lived during the OT era would be keeping that covenant law, which is false. Only the Israelites were party to that covenant law with God.

.

I love this. You ask fair, logical questions about consistency and continuity of religious beliefs, and they answer with pretty much anything but. OF COURSE they would abide by OT if that was "their religion" of that time period. They would conform to murder in that pre-scientific age. Maybe we all would.

What is religiously fashionable "to God" is completely predicated on what is rationally fashionable to Man.

The christian of today is still the christian of the Dark Ages, I always say.

• Christians are supposed to be still following the OT. Jesus said, "17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-20)

• Aliya

Who knows? The environment around a person has an influence in the shaping of their character. As I am, I probably wouldn't, but I might if I had grown up in those times.

To keep the people on the straight and narrow after coming out of paganism it was necessary to have rigid rules !!!

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:4; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

And then pray a sincere prayer with all of your heart admitting to Jesus you are a sinner. Have full faith that His blood pays off all of your sins and accept His gift of everlasting life.

P.S. You don't have to go forward in a church to repent !!! You can kneel at your own bedside and repent !!!

If you are looking for the ligeticemy of the bible check - - http://www.lightedway.org/html/newsletters.html