Anonymous

What is an electrician?

I am doing a program at my school which they will give me 40 credits, and I get paid on the job.

I would love a thurl answer. I'd prefer a thought out answer on the following...Please and thank you..=)

1.How much does an electrician make in Alberta Canada?

2. What does an electrician do?

3. And any other useful information that you may have. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

An electrician is a tradesman specializing in electrical wiring of buildings, stationary machines and related equipment. Electricians may be employed in the installation of new electrical components or the maintenance and repair of existing electrical infrastructure.[1] Electricians may also specialize in wiring ships, airplanes and other mobile platforms.

In most Canadian jurisdictions a supply authority will not connect power to a new building unless a licensed electrician has applied for the electrical permit (some provinces allow a homeowner to obtain his or her own electrical permit). Similarly to the United States, training of electricians follows an apprenticeship model, taking four or five years to progress to fully qualified journeyman level.[2] Typical apprenticeship programs emphasize hands-on work under the supervision of journeymen, but also include a substantial component of classroom training and testing. Training and licensing of electricians is by province, but many provinces recognize qualifications received in others.

Copied from Wikipedia.org much more info on the site itself. Check my source url

I can't tell you about Canada but in the States a Journeyman Union Electrician is the highest paid member of the building trade. It is something really outstanding if you can get into it.

An Electrician installs wiring of just about any kind. If the wire carries electrical power to virtually any device an Electrician installed it. The only exception I can think of is High Power distribution lines. That would be something of a specialty as I understand it. In new construction you will install breaker panels, route wires through the structure, install switches, receptacles, junction boxes and just about anything else that has to do with power distribution throughout a building. In homes they don't install light fixtures very often but they do install the box and the wiring to it. If the building is commercial with fluorescent ceiling panels they will normally install them. You will have a foreman or supervisor to keep everybody on schedule. If nothing else a general contractor.

To be licensed you will need to learn a good deal about electricity including some of the math. You will need to know the electric code but the job you will be doing is that of a helper, probably not even an apprentice but grab an apperticeship if it is offered. There are, in the States, very few jobs that will equal an electrician's pay without a serious amount of education. Now don't get the wrong idea, you will have to go to school, you will have to stay current, and you will be tested but I know many in the trade with a high school diploma and trade school but little or no college.

That's more or less the general flow of things. Sorry I couldn't help with the Alberta stuff but call a local union and ask for the journeyman's wage scale. I would be very surprised if it was less than $75 an hour Canadian.

Good luck, man I know kids that would (well maybe not kill) but most anything short of it to be in your shoes. If you can make it happen, there is hell of a future awaiting you.

Cheers

GIMP

Electricians may be employed in the installation of new electrical components or the maintenance and repair of existing electrical infrastructure. Electricians may also specialize in wiring ships, airplanes, and other mobile platforms also data and cable. An electrical contractor is different from an electrician; an electrician is an individual tradesman and an electrical contractor is a business person or company that employs electricians. Both usually hold licenses and insurances to properly and safely operate a business, protecting the employees and home owners/business owners from insurance liabilities. These requirements vary from state to state. Electricians may work for an electrical contractor, or directly for individuals or companies.

An electrical engineer is a plumber dedicated to electric cabling of structures, fixed machines and related equipment. Electrical engineers may be employed in the installation of new electric components or the maintenance and repair of current electric facilities. Electrical engineers may also are dedicated to cabling delivers, aircraft and other mobile systems.

an electrician repairs and install electrical circuits.

they made good money and they fix you light house