Was thinking about this and wanted to see what your considerations are...?

Matthew 25:18

But he who had received the one went off and dug in the earth and hid his master's money.

This is the parable of Faithfulness in Matthew 25, where the Lord gave each of His slaves talents. Some 1 some 2 and some 5, according to the ability of the slave in the Master's household.

What I want to know is this. Looking at this verse, what does it mean for the slave to hide his talent in the EARTH? What does the earth here symbolize?

Ty for taking the time to look into this particular point in this verse.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

the wicked and sluggish slave hid in the ground the talent committed to him, thereby, in effect, working against his master’s interests

The talents represent the commission to make disciples of Christ. Along with this commission goes the highly privileged opportunity of acting as ambassadors for Christ, the King, to represent the Kingdom to all the nations of the world.—Ephesians 6:19, 20; 2 Corinthians 5:20.

8 Beyond all question, we today have reached the culmination of the fulfillment of this prophetic parable! There has descended upon this generation the darkest period of all human history! Indeed, there is a fitting darkness outside the visible part of Jehovah’s organization into which the “sluggish” and “good-for-nothing” slave class can be thrown at the order of the Master. Such a “darkness outside” depicts the bedarkened condition of the world of mankind, especially in a religious sense. The world of mankind is not enjoying the light of God’s favor and blessing. It is not in the light of the knowledge of the Kingdom of God. It is under “the god of this system of things,” who “has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.”—2 Corinthians 4:4.

Source(s): Insight on the Scriptures
  • Skye M
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Actually that verse is also translated as buried it in the ground, NKJV, So there would not be significance of earth in it. Though I am sure some would put significance to it, yet the whole point of the parable does not take consideration of this word. Many seem to want to pick apart verses and words within certain versions of the Bible, sometimes the word makes a difference in the meaning of the message yet mostly it does not. More important is the message of the one who was given a talent by his master and did nothing with it, for there are many who know of the Lord Jesus and know the truth, yet if they do not do anything with that knowledge such as following the commands of our Lord will find themselves with their part in the lake of fire. Not with our Lord.

• 1 decade ago

The master is telling us that we as believers should let our (light/ salvation) show before men.

" Go ye therefore into all the world and preach the gospel " By doing so , many souls will hear and accept and the family of God grows.

To hide ones gift of salvation gains the( Father God / master) nothing except the one who received the gift. The parable clearly shows the master wanted a return on the amount that was given, not just the original amount. The master lost nothing, but He sought gain. Therefore the slave that didn't do anything but hide the money was chastised.

Salvation is such a precious gift that all who receive want to share it and do the masters will.

It also means we are to be good stewards with what God gives us.

• 1 decade ago

The earth symbolizes where we came from. This servant took this talent and went back to his old nature rather than trusting in his Master. If he truly believed and given his life to believing then he would have done as the other two. Not only did he not believe but he was ashamed. If you read v. 30 it says "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." This shows us that one way or another we will be judged according to our works. These ones are saved yet they will be judged harshly. We can either allow God's judgment on us now or hide our talents and save the judgment 'til later. I choose now but it isn't an easy road to take. Even so it is better and over all easier to take the judgment now in order for us to receive the rewards later. "The Lord hasn't given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord...." 2Timothy 1:7&8. Stand up, stand up for Jesus ye soldiers of the cross. God Bless. :)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I was once very concerned by this idea of not using talents to the full, as I associated the parable with the use of one's intellectual and practical talents in the context of employment and I have from time to time been in the position of not being able to use all my resources to the full through periods of unemployment. However, I think that I was barking up the wrong tree. I heard the very useful analogy of a tap (faucet) which was available as and when needed to supply water. It was not required to run all the time -- simply as and when needed. That is perhaps the position with many of us. We have a number of resources and sometimes only use a selection of them -- it is a case of being available in the Master's service as required, Certainly we are expected to use our spiritual gifts in His service and for the edification of the Church. It is largely a question of ensuring that these gifts are ready and available. Some spiritual gifts by their very nature are not suitable for constant use. What matters is that we be alert to the Master's bidding. Obviously if we bury our talent away it is not going to be ready when the moment comes.

We tend to think of our lives as our own to do what we like with. In fact, we hold our lives on trust for God and must render an account for them in the same way as the servant in the parable did. We are not our own, for we were bought with a price. When we realise that, we understand that our gifts are to be held and used for God's service.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I guess the earth just symbolizes the place of burial. You bury your talents and they are like dead while not being used. But God can let it die and give the same talent to someone else who is willing to use it, and he does this.

• 1 decade ago

It means that you don't try to increase your talents, you just leave them the way they are away from people.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think * everything * has to have a meaning.

He was protecting it, whether through burying, under a rock or in a cabinet.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Earning what you can with what you have and not being lazy.

• chieko
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

everything God gives us is to be used to His glory, whether it is small or large...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.