How do I go about changing my name after I get married?

I am getting married soon, and would like to know the steps I should take to change my name to my married name: getting a social security card, new birth certificate, drivers license, etc. Any help would be great!

• Farris
    Favorite Answer

I started with the SS office. I took my passport, driver's license and marriage certificate with me. They processed the name change and gave me a form to take to the DMV. Then I took the passport, government ID and SS paperwork to the DMV. They issued me a new license. I don't think you get a new birth certificate. I didn't. Then I used the old license, new license and marriage certificate to change my name at the bank, credit cards, etc.

Once you have your marriage certificate back (you should receive it within a couple weeks of the wedding) start by going to your local social security office and getting a new SS card. Then I would change your driver's license, bank accounts, and then the remaining less-important things (credit cards, your name at work, etc.). You will not get a new birth certificate.

Source(s): Married September 2009

Once I received my marriage certificate in the mail, I went to my local Social Security office. That is the first step - getting a new SS card. Once that came in the mail, I was able to change my name with the DMV and with different accounts (banks, credit cards, employer, etc.). I do not believe you should get a new birth certificate though. At least I did not.

Your birth certificate doesn't change as that was your name at birth.

Go to the SS office first. Bring your drivers license, marriage certificate (you will get it a couple weeks After the wedding), and your birth certificate. They will change your ss #.

Then go to the DMV, bring all your id and the marriage certificate.

Then you can change everything else: banks, work info, insurance, credit cards, etc.