Should I convert my road bike into a fixie / one gear bike?

I have an old road bike that need some repair. I'm planning on repainting it, changing the rear wheel and both tires... I've heard a lot of fuzz about fixies, seen a lot of people riding them... but never ride any. I may be planning on converting my road bike into a fixie. I want the conversion to be as... show more I have an old road bike that need some repair. I'm planning on repainting it, changing the rear wheel and both tires...
I've heard a lot of fuzz about fixies, seen a lot of people riding them... but never ride any. I may be planning on converting my road bike into a fixie.
I want the conversion to be as easy and cheap a possible. Do I really need to cut up my frame and do melding stuff? (as shown here http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY_FIXIE_fixed_gear_trackbike_frame/) Or is that just fancy?
Update: wle said "it will be slower and/or more work to pedal - up or downhill you will be slower". how is it possible? I mean I understand why it's slower uphill, but how does it affect going downhill?