Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

How come a band`s biggest hit is never their best song?

examples - Led Zeppelin`s Stairway To Heaven is not their best song

Sweet Home Alabama is not Lynyrd Skynyrd`s best song.

get what i mean, why is that?

Jerry: more examples.

1.You Shook Me All Night Long isnt ACDC`s best song

2. Boys Are Back In Town isnt Thin Lizzy`s best song

3. Born To Be Wild isnt Steppenwolf`s best song

Favorite Answer

Well, bands pick what songs they think would be hits and turn them into singles. Then, people listen to it and like it, and it makes them money. But a lot of the people are too lazy to look further into the band's music to find something that greater satisfies their taste.

That's all opinion. I'm sure there's some people who disagree with you. I don't disagree, at least on LZ or Lynyrd Skynyrd, but two examples isn't enough to prove a point like that. For instance A-Punk by Vampire Weekend is the first song that most people hear by them, and it's also their best song. Same goes for Constantinople by The Residents and Daylight by Matt & Kim. So now I have three examples and you only have two. Does that mean I'm right and you're wrong? Not at all. It's just opinion.

Because these are the most liked songs by a larger audience or the lyrics/tune is more memorable in one song than in another. Whereas, what you class as a bands best song will differ to that of another persons opinion!

YES i get what you mean. but i cant really explain it that well. maybe it has some thing to do with the songs that the band enjoys playing the most and what they think sounds the best.

And i agree that Lynyrd Skynyrd's best song is not "Sweet Home Alabama", i think their best is "Free Bird."

• I was thinking about the same thing before I answered this question. I know, I totally agree that while "Stairway To Heaven" is well written, I think Zeppelin's best song was "Achilles Last Stand". Another factor could be because once people who only listen to the mainstream songs hear that song, they think "Aww this band is awesome so this has to be their best song for it to have made it on the radio". People don't really dig deep and listen to their other greatest works.

• J

Stairway and Sweet Home Alabama may be their best in somebody elses opinion,

• ?

specific in u . s . a . song...Johnny money a Boy named Sue. I now rejoice with listening to Tony Bennet, Frank Sinatra..while interior the temper, rejoice with it while cooking an exceptional dinner, and having an incredible bottle of wine. by no skill might have yrs returned.

• Because then the song becomes too overplayed, overrated, and "commercial" and you become sick of it and no longer like it.

If you are "real" fan of the group, you might know an underrated song that you like

"Hello/Goodbye" is not the Beatles best song either.

interesting question....

• Hannah

the band always pick a hit that will be remembered the most

I was wondering the same thing. :]