Which school would you recommend?

I am planning on attending graduate school in Fall 2010. I am from California and I went to UC Berkeley. I studied mechanical engineering (which is what I will be studying in graduate school; masters program). I was hoping to get some opinions/personal experiences/feedback on the following schools I am considering:

I have been accepted to: Clemson, Lehigh Univ., Georgia Tech

Still waiting to hear back: Texas A&M, Purdue, Ohio State

Any insider information of any listed above would be helpful since I have not visited any of these schools or their associated cities. Thanks so much!

Favorite Answer

Georgia Tech is a great school. They will secure you with a good paying job when you graduate because they are affiliated with many different companies that recruit GA Tech grads. They offer tons of research opportunities from great professors. They have a great reputation, and a degree from tech is highly respected. It's always in the top ten Engineering schools lists. The classes are rigorous, but the effort will be worth it. Also, everyone at Tech has lots of school spirit. You would be proud to be a yellow jacket even if you're not into the sports. The campus is beautiful, also.

The tuition won't kill you either. It's relatively cheap. But most graduate students here are on teaching or research assistantships, so you will probably get one of those pretty easily.

GA Tech is in the middle of Atlanta where there are tons of things to do. The standard of living here is exceptional. You can find a decent place to live for a good price. The weather in Georgia is fantastic! It's been a long winter this year, but that is uncommon. It doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer either.

A website I found helpful where students post about their experiences at different colleges is unigo.com. You should check it out to find out more about the schools you are interested in. Congrats on your acceptances!

I don't know much about the other schools, but the Lehigh area is pretty nice. I hike at State parks up that way regularly. I know this doesn't say anything about the program in specific, but there are lots of things to take into account when picking a school. It's also a short drive to Philadelphia, which has a lot.

Source(s): Wanderer

I know well about OSU and Purdue if you don't mind the weather it's OK. The winters here are terrible. And there is absolutely nothing to do, plain flat corn field and a family oriented world. Georgia Tech and Texas are much bigger names. IMO the areas are better as well.

Source(s): I just got done with my Aero engineering undergrad at OSU and moving to Cali in a few days : )