where does the bible say to put your wife before your ministry?

so many say your ministry starts at home. i want to know where in scripture does it say that your family comes before your service to God?:

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In the later part of 1 Cor 7 Paul says that those that have a wife (family) have the care of that family and are not as free to serve as those who are single. By implication we learn that if I have family I have a responsibility to them.

In discussing elders (bishops) in letters to Timothy and Titus, Paul says these leaders must have faithful families. Implied is that these leaders are teaching them at home and training them. If these men are not training their families they cannot be trusted to lead the churches. The point - ministry starts at home.

The Bible contains negative examples of the children of leaders such as Aaron, Eli, Samuel, and David whose parents were faithful men and served God and His people well, but neglected their families and their children turned out rotten. Implication: Do not neglect you home.

Source(s): A family man and servant of God
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ephesians 5 Says we are to be ready to give up our very lives for our wives.

Ephesians 5: 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

God would not call you to a ministry that would cause you to neglect or "put away" your wife.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Matthew 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Doesn't really sound like that's the case to me.

• David
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Your wife in part of your ministery the one on the home front!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes because if we tell you it's on page 567 about midway down you're really going to look right?

Dork.

• 1 decade ago

Your family are real, it's just common sense they come first.

• 1 decade ago

Right after it says "Give more money to the church byeatch" forgot which page.

Source(s): ricky bobby, "baby jesus"
  • 1 decade ago

it doesnt say that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.