Pronounce French Names...?

I think all of these are French names....

anyone know how to pronounce them?! Or know a website where they have the way in which to pronounce it? THANK YOU SO MUCh...

Claude Lorrain

Hyacinthe Rigaud

Nicolas Poussin

Simon Vouet

Jacques Callot?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Claude Lorrain = klohd loh-rẽ

oh like the "o" in "more"

ẽ like the "e" in "bed" but say it through your nose

Hyacinthe Rigaud = yah-sẽt ree-go

same remark about ẽ

Nicolas Poussin = Nee-co-lah poo-sẽ

ditto ẽ

Simon Vouet = see-mõ vweh

õ = the "o" in "more" but through your nose

Jacques Callot = ʒahk kah-lo

ʒ like the "s" in "pleasure"

http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-intera... copy-paste them here and select a French voice.

Source(s): I'm French
  • 4 years ago

Well, if she's pronouncing it the proper French way, it's "SELL-ee-ah". An "s" in the beginning of a French word is always pronounced like an "s". The "ei" combination is always pronounced like the "e" in "let". The double L's have a regular L sound. The "i" and "e" have regular long vowel sounds. The "e" is a bit hard to figure out, since there are many different ways "e" gets pronounced in French, with no real rules about it. However, it's definitely not "aye", as E's are only pronounced like that if they are accented. And the "r" at the end of the "ier" ending is silent. Of course, because of the corruption of languages over the years, she may not pronounce her last name like this at all. I once knew a girl whose last name was Jacques--just like the French boy name, so you'd think it was pronounced "Zhock". Nope. She pronounced it "Jakes!" Talk about screwing up a beautiful language. So it's best to ask your classmate how she pronounces her own name.

• 10 years ago

try this, you can submit the words

http://fr.forvo.com/

• 10 years ago

jus de fruit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.