Which is correct: "Butterfly" or "Flutterby"?

When did we change it? If we're changing words, lets change "Ping Pong" to "Gnip Gnop"

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

actually, butterflies were called flutterbies in the past =) they don't use the word flutterby anymore =)

• 3 years ago

Flutterby Butterfly

• 10 years ago

I chuckled when I read this post. I am still tickled. I haven't said flutterby for a long, long, long, time. My sister and I used to say words and this was one of them. I think it started by just saying it wrong. We got tongue twisted or something. My goodness that has been a long time ago. I looked it up on line. And the word is actually there. I think it said a name of a debut album by Australian singer/songwriter Butterfly Boucher. Flutterby it is used several times, flutterby games, flutterby photostream. Wow I thought my sister and I made it up. LOL! That is funny Brother. You made my day. 8-)

• 10 years ago

Butterfly's flutterby, of course

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

"Flutterby" was actually the original English word for "Butterfly." The term "flutterby" was more descriptive of the creature, as it 'flutters by,' but, over time, the phonetic sounds were misheard, travelled person-to-person incorrectly, and we ended up with an altered version.

Source(s): Linguistics courses.
  • 10 years ago

"Flutterby" is a sort of spoonerism on "Butterfly", used as a comic imitation of ignorant people (especially in times gone by) who misheard its proper name, and assumed it was called after what it did (like a fly is). Despite the myth that the name changed at some mysterious point in the past it has in fact always been butterfly - at least for the last 1,200 years or so, when it was represented in the Late Old English "buttorfleoge" and then Chauser's Middle English "boterflye".

• Rose
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I agree that "African American" is not politically correct. Black would be the more politically correct term to use, but I'm really not that concerned about it. I don't understand why people get in such a fuss over it. "Did you guys know S. Africa was colonized by the British and before that, the Dutch?" Yes, they stole the land from the native inhabitants just like the Europeans did here in North America. Then came the apartheid.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axHp9

I'm black dude. The black people that haven't been brainwashed by this PC bullsh*t will tell you straight up that they are black. Too many freedom fighters fought long and hard to make sure that this word was not something to be ashamed of. Now some white liberal or a sold out black "leader" wants to turn back the hands of time and make black a shameful word again. It's ironic the way history repeats itself. Read leslienicole01's answer. It proves my point. I won't give her a thumbs down, but it proves my point exactly.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

"Butterfly" is more correct but "Flutterby" is more expressive. I can imagine that word working well in a poem, but not in everyday usage.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It's butterfly....but i guess people just sorta got bored of it and made up flutterby.....or maybe somebody pronounced it wrong at one point of time, and so it kinda stuck??!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.