Do Brits like American accents as much as we like your accents?

I have a lot of online friends from other countries but probably the most from the UK. Whenever I end up talking on the phone or in a voice chat with them, they're always very surprised at my accent. They say that I "don't sound American."

This makes me wonder.. what exactly did they think I was going to sound like? Hehe. I have this sneaking suspicion that the rest of the world expects me to sound like a loud redneck or something...

So, what exactly do you guys think of our accent? And can you tell the difference between the different dialects and accents we have? I can definitely tell a huge difference in the accents of the various British people I've spoken with or see on TV.

I think the majority of Americans (especially us girls) love most British accents. But I get the feeling that perhaps you guys don't love ours quite so much. Hehe.

Also, in case anyone is curious, I live in Michigan.

:)

Best Answer

Yes I like most accents I think becasue I like to see people from other places; most american accents are easy on the ear I think I can tell Texan New York Californian and South but your country is huge compared to ours. I really liked visiting america its a real buzz when you actually see Maceys and hershey bars and peopel saying have a nice day and realise its a real country not just put on for the films. I was totally overwhelmed by the vastness of everything and actually cried at the size of the sequoias and the packets of crisps it is so different growing up on an island this size

Considering how we American mangle the pronounciation of English words, I am rather sure that most British citizens are generally appalled.

We like their accent because it sounds sophisticated. So the opposite must be true: we probably sound tremendously UNsophisticated... then combine that with out typical informal behavior and comportment...

Well, there is a reason that there used to be in common usage the term: the Ugly American.

The only American accent that is tolerable to the British might be the Harvard/high society ilk.

I have an american friend and I love her accent, but there's some other american accents that make me want to tell them to shut the f!ck up, and i'm a nice person.

Me personally I love the American accent. I know there are different dialects but every American accent Ive heard has been cool.

Yep.

I like American accents at least as much as any other. And while I can differentiate between different accents I can't tell which one originates where with any real degree of success.

From experience, yes.

I have lived in the UK for about four years. I obtained my American accent in the U.S.A. where I learned English and I also learned the accent through TV programmes (I lived in a non-English speaking country). Everyone is like, your accent is so American and saying it's nice and stuff like that. I don't think they know the many different dialects they have in the U.S. because they haven't met that many Americans in their lives.

Haha, when i whent to Canada the Girls loved my Liverpool,English accent i wish i had that kind of luck in England, For me it depends on the dialect of American i like the New York accent and a few others but im not sure on the origin of other accents,

The only one im not too keen on is the Beverly hills cheerleader type they sound abit ditsy haha well that the steriotype i see anyway im sure some are realy smart. but overall i like the accent.

Oh Yeah you might get some idiots from Britain answering this, i think they should be band from the internet and traveling , in fact they should be band from breathing lol

Source(s): Mainly TV

I'm British and find American accents cool!

I like American accents, can't really tell them apart unless they're from southern states.

whats a 'redneck'?

and I didnt know you lot had different accents...... I thought that there was like just 2. the regular one, and the posh 'Beverly Hills' one for posh Americans.......