Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Why did Europe take the lead in exploration in the late 1400s?

There are economic, political, and technologic factors. I am wondering what they are. Thank you!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My world history teacher last year came up with the "4 Gs:" Gold, God, Glory, and Gadgets.

1. Gold

This one's simple. The opportunists of post-medieval Europe wanted to become rich. The best way to do so, they reasoned, was to explore new lands, namely, the Far East (India, the West Indies (Indonesia), Malaysia, China, etc. Portugal was the first nation to establish trade with the Far East, thanks to the expeditions of Bartolomeu Dias, who was the first European to round the Cape of Good Hope, and Vasco da Gama, who was the first European to reach India directly by sea. Thus, Portugal was able to quickly establish itself as a major power in the Indian Ocean.

2. God

European nations sought to expand their influence by spreading their religion to all explored areas. The most common method employed was to send missionaries to areas they hoped to convert.

3. Glory

Many explorers wanted the fame that would come with conquest. The most striking examples of this are the Spanish conquistadors of the 16th century: Hernán Cortés and Francisco Pizarro, who conquered the Aztec and Inca Empires, respectively.

4. Gadgets

Europeans sought to both use their superior technology and acquire even more new technology. The incorporation of the Arab-invented astrolabe into European expeditions simplified maritime navigation greatly. The development of firearms that used gunpowder gave the Europeans a significant advantage over many indigenous populations

Source(s): Further information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Discovery
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Korea made the 1st steel movable form printing press, Gutenberg would have seen it or an define of the approach. there have been pre-modern-day printing presses that used motionless form (ie an entire website became into decrease right into a block of timber) or photos. Books have been nonetheless uncommon by potential of the top of the fifteenth century, it nonetheless fee a small fortune to purchase a bible, even revealed immediately it required many hours of paintings alongside with making paper, ink, casting form, composing the form. Gutenberg’s bibles have been made to an particularly severe widely used, he necessary to pay off investors so he chosen to offer severe return costly volumes. i've got confidence the respond sought is two, even nonetheless it is no longer genuine that they had get admission to to a vast variety of understanding – there merely weren't a vast variety of books available, those that existed have been in monastic/royal libraries and much greater probably to be in Latin, Greek or Arabic.

• 1 decade ago

You might want to focus on a particular region or country and their role in exploration. I believe it was Portugal that created a new kind of sail for their boats which allowed them to sail around the Horn of Africa. Basically technological advancements in seafaring vessels, economic incentives, religious motives.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

I don't believe that is true

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.