promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

I went to a World ORT meeting today and only heard about the Holocaust. Is that normal?

I was asked by a friend to attend a World ORT meeting (Jewish educational type organization). http://www.ort.org/asp/default.asp

For 2 hours all I heard about was the Holocaust and the stories from the Holocaust cookbook they were selling as a fundraiser.

Not once was it mentioned that anyone else died except Jews, and that was emphasized.

It's now almost 65 years after the Holocaust. Is this ever going to be put to rest reverendly as it should - or - do the stories continue just to keep the wounds open.

Personally, I was taken back that no mention was made of the 5,000,000 non Jews.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The "Holocaust" refers specifically to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of at least six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators. It is true that millions of other people fell victim to Nazi atrocities but the term "Holocaust" was not coined to describe the crimes committed against them. That is not to underestimate or undervalue the horror of what other peoples experienced. It is true that "Holocaust" has become increasingly blurred in its meaning in recent years. However, I would attribute that in part to a lack of historical understanding, partly due to political correctness (some feel uncomfortable with what they feel is the exclusion or possible belittlement of non-Jewish suffering during the war) and partly a result of anti-Jewish/anti-Israel activism which seeks to make Jewish claims of victimhood appear exagerrated.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

World ORT Official Meetings, Seminars & Events

January 2010

World ORT Wingate Seminar

London

11 - 15 January

World ORT Board of Trustees Meeting

Miami

31 January - 1 February

February 2010

Terry and Jean de Gunzburg Seminar

South Africa

Dates TBC

May 2010

World ORT Board of Trustees Meeting

St Petersburg

23 May

No, you didn't. Why isn't this meeting you went to listed here?

• 3 years ago

of direction the Holocaust exceeded off, whether it wasn't in basic terms Jewish people who have been murdered in the time of international conflict 2. Ethnic cleansing become on Hitler's concepts, and that blanketed an fantastically great component of Polish human beings besides as others. it is not made up. this is why we hear approximately it plenty. because of the fact it become an significant element of historic previous, a mass genocide.

• 1 decade ago

Being a Jew who goes to Jewish school we learn extensively about the Holocaust and everything about it. I completely agree with you about the fact that many other races/cultures/ethnicities are not always mentioned. But then again i strongly disagree about it being forgotten, it is extremely important that the Holocaust is remembered for multiple reasons.

1. so that it never ever happens again

2. it is just an extrmely important part of WWII history in general

3. So that there will always be people who know the truth and can stand up to the non-believers and holocaust deniers.

Source(s): Jewish Highschool
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The 'Holocaust' is a money making industry for Jews.

They have extorted billions from countries that had anything remotely connected with Germany during the war.

It also shields them from criticism. You are an anti-Semitic if you dare say something negative about them.

Personally, I have come to believe the true 'Holocaust' story is yet to be told.

The so called 'revisionists' might be on to something.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lest we forget.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.