Mary asked in TravelNew ZealandQueenstown · 1 decade ago

tell me about sunshine coast, australia?

I'm from Buffalo, New York, USA.

i'll be staying there for two months during july and august of 2011.

i just wanted to know if it is cold during those months since it is considered "winter"? is it cold enough that you would have to wear boots, heavy coats, etc..? since i am from the state of new york, it gets very cold here and i'm clueless about warmer climates.

also, what kind of cultures live in this area?

are you able to swim in all of the beaches?

are the people friendly?

do they hate Americans?

are people racist in any way?

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

It would never get colder on the Sunshine Coast than New York in mid-Spring. The temperature tends to drop quickly when the sun goes down so this can make this time of day feel colder than it actually is. Winter clothing on the Sunshine Coast would be something like jeans, Tshirt, hoodie and sneakers. You will see people around in just shorts and Tshirts year-round and it is not unusual to get through a whole winter without bothering to get a sweater out of storage. Definitely dress casual - borderline grunge won't attract any attention. Late July can be a bit wet and is likely to be the coldest time of the year but winter here is more often than not clear blue skies and warm days.

Culture? Sort of Anglo-European with quite a few Asian faces in the crowd. Americans tend to notice a definite shortage of african and hispanic faces. They are actually there but we don't have a border with Mexico and we didn't have slavery so the mix is different. The Sunshine Coast has a big tourist economy (winter is not the tourist season) but quite a lot of people living there don't have tourism-related jobs. Australians like to spread out so it is a bit suburban without much high-rise. You are not likely to get any culture shocks.

Swimming. Australian's don't swim in the sea much in winter although the water temperature is actually quite warm by the standards of most places. There are no private beaches in Australia so picking a swimming spot is mostly a matter of being sensible about safety in the surf. There was a attempt about 35 years ago to build a resort further up the coast with a private closed off beach. A local fisherman blew the hotel up with explosives so the Government decided it should be a public beach again. (Note: hotel was still under construction, no one hurt, guy went to jail) I have met the guy and he's a total nut job but it still makes you proud to be Australian. Swim when ever you want, anywhere you want.

Friendly. Generally very friendly. Australians will tend to wait for you to ask for assistance but usually give you a lot of help when you do. It is a cultural thing about not wanting to intrude and minding your own business. Do not give Australians advice about how to run their country. In return we promise not to come to your country and give you advice about how to run it. On the other hand Australians may comment on the USA while you are here. Listen carefully and feel free say "Get stuffed" where appropriate.

Attitude to Americans. See above. Behave like a normal person and you will be fine.

Racism. Mostly not and probably better than most places in th world. Australia was definitely a strongly Anglo-centric culture up until the 1970's but still very much an immigrant country. Non-anglo-european immigration has been accelerating since the mid-1970's. There is some 'racial' conflict but this is more like young guys who drink to much who also happen to be lebanese/croation/vietnamese/anglo-australian/etc. The relationship with Aboriginal Australia is really complicated with probably as much harm done by good intentions as bad intentions. There are a lot more opinions than answers about how past wrongs and current problems get sorted out there.

• Lisa

Australia is in the southern hemisphere so their seasons are opposite the ones in the northern. Summer is in December and winter is in July. When I arrived on the Gold Coast (I think this is what you mean by Sunshine Coast) in Jan it was about 105 degrees F. The hotest it had been in ten years, or something. I was right next to Surfer's Paradise which is like the Orlando, FL of Australia. Very popular for the tourists. I was in Australia for four months (Jan - May) and the entire time the weather was gorgeous. I travel to Sydney, Melbourne, Adaleide, Ayers Rock, and the Great Barrier Reef. It did not rain much the entire time. My Aussie friends complain about not being able to get "as good" of a tan during the winter (July) but their winters are certainly better than where I origionally am from (New England).

I'm sure you will love it. The Sunshine Coast is made up of many towns so not sure which one you will be going to . here is a guide for you. http://www.aboutsunshinecoast.net/

It will be winter the nights can get very cold but not freezing. there will be very little rain if any . The days will warm up late morning for a few hours . If you are feeling brave you can still swim at the beach or certainly you can surf with a wet suit on. You will meet many different cultures. Hopefully you will never hear any racist remarks. Hopefully you will find the people friendly. The Sunshine Coast is sleepier than the Gold Coast. I'm sure you will make the time to visit Brisbane and The Gold Coast while here. No they don't hate Americans .

I live in Melbourne in Australia and every year head to the Sunshine Coast on my holidays. You must must MUST go to Noosa!!! It is so amazing, the beach is gorgeous, shops are very cute and there are great restaurants on the beach. By no means are the people in Australia anywhere racists and the sunshine coast is very touristy so the are people from all over the world. Australians do not hate Americas. We are very welcoming. The cultures in Queensland are very laid back, friendly and helpful if you need any. You should be able to swim in all main beaches, personally I would stick to the main beaches as they will have life guards. Queensland is mild all year around and july/august will be very moderate. I wouldn't expect really hot days but the weather should be nice.

I hope you choose to go because it is so beautiful, you'll love it

Source(s): Im Australian and have been going to the sunshine coast for holidays all my life (20 years)

Hello!

Im australian, and i think you will have a plesent time in queensland. Australians ( including me) love americans, because i don't no, your just cool! Theres been alot of people saying australia is racist over these indian crimes.In everysingle country your bound to come across a racist person, but YOU defintly wont be attacked. The gold coast is know for great beaches, but some (MIGHT) be dangerous, i actually live in victoria ( melbourne). And No, you wont need to rug up, so just bring jumpers and pants. Theres no need for heavy coats, as it quite hot down there. ( Even in summer.)

I hope you have a fantastic trip.No need to worry if people like you or not. We dont bite.well most of us dont.

Source(s): AUSTRALIAN AND PROUD.

Why, oh why have you asked this question on this page?

It is as bad as me asking a question about how to glaze a window on a computer page.

Try:

Travel - Australia - Brisbane, and you'll get someone who can give you a more knowledgeable answer.

This is the NZ section not Australia