i need ideas for games to play with toddlers?

I'm working part time teaching ESL to little kids. most of then are around 2.5 yrs old and 4-5 years old.

i don't have much experience with kids and i'm finding it REALLY stressful. I'm doing my best to keep their interest. i like to try to have games between tasks and in the beginning of the lesson so it's fun for them.. but i don't know that many.

anyone know simple games that don't need much props? at the moment with the todlers i'm doing things like simon says, singing and miming itsy bitsy spider, skeleton dance, hokey pokey etc.. but i need more.

and also for the older children... i use pictionary, hangman, but if anyone knows other fun games i can incorporate in my lessons that would be great.

i'm teaching drama, speech, interview skills and alphabet if that helps.

going outside is not an option. it's in the middle of one of the most hectic parts of the city. not clean. not safe and i'm not allowed anyways. but that sleeping animals song is exactly what i was looking for! thanks!

Favorite Answer

I know! One of my favorites is "the animals are sleeping". Kids love it! I can't give you the tune. It's just sort of sing-song. The children lay on the floor, pretending to sleep. You sing "sleeping, sleeping, the animals are sleeping" and then you say "wake up dogs." and they get up and pretend to be dogs. When you sing again, they go "back to sleep" and you wake them up as other animals. This could even be a great way for them to learn vocabulary: you could show a picture of the animals along with saying the animals' names. To transition, I always end with a quiet animal LOL

Have a look at http://early-learning.org/ It has lots of ideas and activities, including singing, games, crafts and heaps of other ideas and activities.

Take them outside, there is always something to do. Let them build letters out of sticks, and words for the airplanes to see etc.

Try http://www.toddler-net.com/ They have games, arts, crafts, worksheets for preschool kids.

hm