Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Tap dancing ?

In our play for drama club there's going to be a tap dance. I really want to audition to be a dancer, but I can't tap dance. Is it worth auditioning for? For the audition, they would teach us a dance and then we'd preform it in groups of a few people. I'm pretty sure there aren't too many people who can tap that want to audition so I'd have a slightly better chance AND I've already been in two shows and the teacher tends to pick people she knows. I took tap for one year, but that was a few years ago and I don't remember anything. So would it be really difficult to get in?

Sorry that that's so long but thanks so much to everyone who answers!

Favorite Answer

Try out! The worst they can say is no thanks and you're no worse off than you would be if you hadn't auditioned.

I can't imagine a school production having crazy hard tap moves. In fact, they may dub the tap sounds over the music and you'll fake it in character shoes. I see that a lot.

For now, youtube basic tap videos. How to shuffle, how to draw back, how to flap, etc. Those baby steps make up the basis of almost everything you'll do in tap.

You'll be fine, confidence is key. It won't be hard to learn, and if you have the right attitude they'd be silly not to want to teach you.