What sort of trouble could i get in for scraping a parked car and leaving a note about 36 hour later?

I realized I should have left a note right away, but i'm 18 and have never been in an accident before and wasn't really sure of what to do. Since then the owner and i have been in contact and his damages are being covered by his insurance. However, he must have filed a police report before I left a note, because I received a letter from the police. I want to know what kind of penalties i could face, even though we have worked it out privately, and if it would matter if the owner followed up with the police and explained that I came forward.

I live in Ohio.

Favorite Answer

In Ohio the laws states that you must do this within 24 hours........

http://www.deadlyroads.com/laws/ohio-hit-and-run-l...

Any driver who fails to fulfill their duties after being involved in an accident can receive a traffic ticket, at a minimum..

Hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident and whatever else. IF the owner contacts the police and explain that you have since worked it out between the two of you they may drop it, and at the least they would be lenient(by that I mean if it goes to Court the DA would probably offer a good plea deal or the Judge would likely give you the low end of probation and fine and that type of stuff).

Add: The cops were likely called AFTER the accident was discovered. It took A DAY AND A HALF, since the second post doesn't grasp why they'd call the cops if a note was EVENTUALLY left.

Well if you scraped it on accident and you have worked it out with the owner you should call the owner and ask him why he filed a police report. He could have forgotten or what is more likely, is that you haven't really worked it out like you believe. You need to go to the police and tell them your side of the story and you need to talk to the owner. You shouldn't be in any real big trouble. Since you left a note and have contacted the owner about fixing the problem the worst, if anything happens, is that you will have to pay a fine.

Leaving the scene of an accident. I personally would get the other car owner to go to court with you and state that you came back to make amends.