What does djibouti look like? the geography?

i'm doing a report and he wants us to explain the geography (what it looks like). i have tried to go to google images but the pictures aren't very tremendous. I'm not saying i need pictures to put on the report i just need things i can look at to see what the country looks like i have heard it has been over runned by the french and that it is destroyed i KNOW THAT!! im getting frustrated any help thanks for reading

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Geography ::Djibouti

Eastern Africa, bordering the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea, between Eritrea and Somalia

Geographic coordinates:

11 30 N, 43 00 E

Map references:

Africa

Area:

total: 23,200 sq km

country comparison to the world: 150

land: 23,180 sq km

water: 20 sq km

Area - comparative:

slightly smaller than Massachusetts

Land boundaries:

total: 516 km

border countries: Eritrea 109 km, Ethiopia 349 km, Somalia 58 km

Coastline:

314 km

Maritime claims:

territorial sea: 12 nm

contiguous zone: 24 nm

exclusive economic zone: 200 nm

Climate:

desert; torrid, dry

Terrain:

coastal plain and plateau separated by central mountains

Elevation extremes:

lowest point: Lac Assal -155 m

highest point: Moussa Ali 2,028 m

Natural resources:

geothermal areas, gold, clay, granite, limestone, marble, salt, diatomite, gypsum, pumice, petroleum

Land use:

arable land: 0.04%

permanent crops: 0%

other: 99.96% (2005)

Irrigated land:

10 sq km (2003)

Total renewable water resources:

0.3 cu km (1997)

Freshwater withdrawal (domestic/industrial/agricultural):

total: 0.02 cu km/yr (84%/0%/16%)

per capita: 25 cu m/yr (2000)

Natural hazards:

earthquakes; droughts; occasional cyclonic disturbances from the Indian Ocean bring heavy rains and flash floods

Environment - current issues:

inadequate supplies of potable water; limited arable land; desertification; endangered species

Environment - international agreements:

party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Law of the Sea, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Wetlands

signed, but not ratified: none of the selected agreements

Geography - note:

strategic location near world's busiest shipping lanes and close to Arabian oilfields; terminus of rail traffic into Ethiopia; mostly wasteland; Lac Assal (Lake Assal) is the lowest point in Africa

Source(s): https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/ the-world-factbook/geos/dj.html
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's hard to find photos of Djibouti because (1) there aren't many people there, (2) few people visit there, and (3) most of it is an extremely dry and hot stony desert with few plants and almost no water (nothing to look at).

Who takes photos of rocks that go off in all directions?

Anyway, how about YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft9aguqo0kI

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLagj9-rBCI

Youtube thumbnail

(this link is the 1st of 4 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Qhg-mPqVY

Youtube thumbnail

...and many others.

Some of these aren't really what you need—they're talking about other things—but you can pick up a lot by ignoring the sound and looking at the background...what does it look like, what's going on, what are the people doing, are there plants, mountains, rocks, etc. That first link shows Lake Assal... and also the luxury hotel...so parts of it are a bit out of context.

Good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Basically a desert. Mountainous and on a plateau, though there is a narrow coastal plain. Though small and lacking in resources, it's location at the bottom of the Red Sea gives it a strategic location, and the US and France have important bases there...

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Just review notes and look up topics on the internet, even create a study guide and take a crack at it every night

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.