95 Kia Sportage TPS BAD?

I have a 1995 Kia Sportage 4x4 with the 2.0L DOHC. Every since I got the thing it hasn't wanted to idle at all except for every once in a while it idles fine for about ten minutes then goes back to horrible idling.

As long as I accelerate it works great it drives really good. It has plenty of power and doesn't bog out or anything. It just won't idle for nothing. I've even tried to turn the idle screw to make it run higher rpms so that it might idle and even that won't work. I had some guys on a forum tell me to change the TPS sensor so I did and it ran great for about 15 minutes then I turned it off and restarted the engine and it went back to crap again. So obviously it's not the TPS or did I just get a bad one? I got a brand new one from AutoZone.

I then read that cleaning the Idle Control Valve sometimes helps stuff like that so I pulled it off and sprayed it out really good with carb cleaner and that didn't help either. Maybe the ICV is no good?

It has be beat I dunno nothing about Kia's its my first one. I need to get this thing going the guys on the kia forums are taking three or four days to answer at a time and I just can't wait that long.

I really need some help mechanics!

I have no codes there are no Kia dealers anywhere near me. Everyone I called such as AutoZone and other places that do diagnostics don't have a connection for doing Kia. I tried doing some jumper wire on the connector to make whatever suppose to flash tell me the codes and it didn't work I gave up on it.

After using common sense when trying to run the jumper on the obd connector I managed to finally get the check engine light blinking and these are the codes it's throwing.

8 blinks fast

1 blink slow

7 blinks fast

1 blink slow

2 blinks fast

3 blinks slow

4 blinks fast

5 blinks slow

6 blinks fast

Then it starts all over again with the 8 fast.

Favorite Answer

Does this thing have a check engine light on? I would say start with the basics. You should check all your fuses just to be on the safe side.You should also verify voltage and ground to the TPS and ICV. The TPS uses a 5 volt reference and the ICV uses 12 volts. I would say more likely the idle control valve IS bad. That is the most likely failure. There is also the port for the valve on the throttle body. These ports are usually very small. When these ports get dirty they sometimes get plugged off with carbon. I have used a small pick or metal coat hanger to clear them out before. Then I spray carb cleaner in there to get the rest out. You will probably have to reset your idle screw if you do replace the ICV. Good luck.

95 Kia Sportage

• Teri

Quick answer,,,,for the long run a mistake....For example to give you an idea, Bank of America will not give auto loans for Kia's Daweoo's or Suzuki's because they lose value so quickly.

Try cleaning your throttle body. If that doesn't work try cleaning or replacing your EGR. Without the codes from the pcm we really can't help you.