Harry asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Vague Question, anyone good with Roman invasion of Britain.?

Sorry I have no idea which time period we are talking about, as I know the invasion and occupation were over a great many years.

There was a celtic Queen (I think towards where Scotland is now, more than Wales) who joined with Rome in alliance so she could keep her power, her husband was against it and eventually revolted and joined the rebels... What Queen was this? I'd like her name so I can research her some more. Thanks a lot guys.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The kingdom you're talking about was Brigantia. It covered roughly the present counties of Yorkshire, Lancashire, Durham, Northumberland, Westmorland and Cumberland in the northern part of England

During the first years of Roman rule in England, Queen Cartimandua of Brigantia was considered a reliable ally. Because of her usefulness in insulating the existing Roman province in southern England from the Picts, she was left to govern the land north of the River Humber in relative independence. However, around 68 a.d., she divorced her anti-Roman husband, Venutius, for his armour-bearer, Vellocatus. This scandal divided the Brigantes and resulted in a civil war, which Cartimandua lost. The Romans rescued her, but now found an enemy on their northern border, instead of a friend.

Two years later, in 70 a.d., the Ninth Legion was advanced from Lincoln to York in response to the new opposition in Brigantia. From soon after this, all of England came under direct Roman rule.

(Boudicca was somewhat different. Her husband, Prasutagus, king of the Iceni (roughly the modern counties of Norfolk and Suffolk) cooperated with the Romans. When he died, Boudicca revolted against the Romans. She lost, and died around 60/61 a,d,).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The Queen was Boudicca (Also Boadicea ) She was Queen of the Iceni people of Eastern Britain . When her husband King Prasutagus died in A.D 59 -or 60 . She led the Iceni of what is now Suffolk / Norfolk in a fierce and temporarily successful campaign against the Romans , who seized her late husbands lands She sacked London , Colchester and other Roman settlements After her defeat by the Romans , she and her daughters committed suicide by taking poison

AD 60

Britain was successfully invaded in 55 BC by Julius (Gallo) Caesar

Suffolk means South Folk Norfolk means North Folk . The two counties border on each other . Lowestoft which is in Suffolk is the most Easterly point in Britain . I live (approx 40 miles from Lowestoft ) and 30 miles from Colchester

• 3 years ago

greeks and romans have been around at approximately 750 b.c. They have been contemporaries of another and as alexander the super conquered persia rome become taking over S. Italy. So from approximately 750b.c. to 100s b.c. the romans and greeks have been seperate. in the time of the 1st century b.c. nonetheless, the romans and greeks fought their very final conflict (0.33 macedonian conflict) and the romans took over the greeks. One significant difference between greece and rome become that greece become created from many independant city-states on an identical time as rome become continually one city. additionally athens, the best of the greek cities, become greater democratic and liberal than the romans who have been greater conservative. The greeks have been additionally the significant inventors of latest philosophical developments on an identical time as romans tended to take care of and build upon the greek creations.

• 1 decade ago

You are looking for Boudica

Interesting woman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.