In a paper comparing a literary and historical figure what tense (past/present) do I use?

I am writing a paper that compares a literary character to a real historical one. As I understand it, I am supposed to write past tense for history papers and present tense for literary ones. In this case do I use both tenses or just pick one and go with it?

Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you can write simple present tense even you talk about a literary historical character.

• 10 years ago

If I were writing an analysis I would use the present tense for statements that I am making today about my work, but use the past tense when I am describing a historical fact. For example, "John Doe is a very forward thinking character just as Thomas Jefferson was when he was writing the Declaration of Independence".

• 3 years ago

Elizabeth Bennett would maximum actual be a MacBook person. besides the undeniable fact that, this would reason issues with Mr Darcy, who wish the layout of the Mac, yet would evaluate a number of the different products made by ability of Apple to be frivolous. for this reason, he would use a Dell. And for some reason, i think of he wish a Blackberry to an iPhone. Jo March from Little women would initiate off with a inexpensive, easy Acer yet Fritz the Professor would ultimately persuade her to enhance to a Mac. (Fritz himself would be a Mac guy or woman.) Charles Dickens would locate his iPad to be a best invention. Virigina Woolf and Sylvia Plath would use iMacs. Anais Nin would very own the two a Mac and a working laptop or workstation. Which she used would remember on her temper. Bonus Questions: a million. Romeo and Juliet would each and each be the heirs to rival cellular telephone agencies. The designers from each and each company would arise with telephones that would desire to not receive calls or texts originating from telephones synthetic by ability of the rival company. for this reason, Romeo and Juliet have somewhat loads of hassle phoning/texting one yet another. 2. Dickens and Benjamin Franklin would bookmark each and all of the information web content. Delores Haze from Lolita would bookmark myspace. Virginia Woolf would exchange her bookmarks many times, reckoning on her temper. 3. Dickens would have a photo of his sister-in-regulation, who died youthful and with whom he exchange into secretly in love. 4. Delores would use MySpace. Anais Nin would take excitement in the blogger app and notice it as an extension of her diary. Virginia Woolf wish the digital camera and taking photos, nevertheless she in all probability would not prefer to be in the photos. Nor would she have an interest in taking "happy snaps". She would seize human beings unaware and use it to overview the human subject. 5. Dickens: Charlesjohnhuffandickens@longemailaddres... 6. interest. 7. MacBook professional. suitable for a school pupil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.