Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

"the single biggest threat to man's continued dominance on this planet is the virus." - Joshua Lederberg?

I think i agree with this quote

but do u agree or disagree? and why/why not?

• e
    Favorite Answer

i think man maybe the biggest threat to man as well as other forms of life, on this planet.

A virus would certainly be a big threat if there was no immunity to it. I think the biggest threat to mankind would be if something inhibited the sun from shining onto the earth. The ramifications are enormous.

I don't know when he said that; he probably had very good reason at the time, but I find the prion even scarier, those things are almost indestructible and carry the nastiest diseases.

And of course the climate change threat may turn out to be what does us in. It's hard to rank the threats, there are so many of them.

Disagree. I'm 68 and have lost many friends and relatives. I bet I could list 500 if given the time. Not one died from a virus nor a prion. Motorcycle and car accidents, old age, viet nam war, kidney failure, heart attacks, a few suicides, gun accidents, od on drugs both street and legal, five died in a hospital during routine surgery, fire, work accidents on and on a few here and a few there. Many causes but none from a virus. Oh yeah, murder, two at least.

One guy I knew died of aids but he got it from a blood transfusion at a hospital (he had hemophilia).

Mother,sister-in-law and two uncles from from cancer. Yuk I gotta stop.

Anyway, I see many causes of death but none of them to do with a f'n virus.

• Ibredd

Yes and we have life styles that require it's people to take the latest drugs and thus compromise them through constant use. But what ever goes on the the bedroom is no body's Business

No I reckon it's the possible demise of the bumble bee.

Not a bad quote

The only thing that has killed more people than viruses are other men

in my opinion it is running out of natural resources, in particular oil.