Do old testament laws still apply?

If so, which ones? All of them? Please provide scriptural references. I am trying my best, but there is so much conflicting information. Sometimes I think I should just become an atheist. I'm scared.

Favorite Answer

1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)

6) Jesus has a punishment even worse than his father concerning adultery: God said the act of adultery was punishable by death. Jesus says looking with lust is the same thing and you should gouge your eye out, better a part, than the whole. The punishment under Jesus is an eternity in Hell. (Matthew 5:27)

7) Peter says that all slaves should “be subject to [their] masters with all fear,” to the bad and cruel as well as the “good and gentle.” This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18

8) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

9) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

• Dane
      6 years agoReport

@GreekSnowballRevolution

ha. HA! That's rich! Read your own holy book. Especially Leviticus and Exodus.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do old testament laws still apply?

Source(s): testament laws apply: https://shortly.im/CS59M
  • Jerry

All moral laws apply Acts Chapter 15 Peter addresses the laws concerning diet and circumcision.

Jesus said that He did not come to take away the law, He came to fulfill it. This means that we cannot save ourselves by law since we would have to keep it 100 % of the time and perfectly.

There were some ceremonial laws and Jesus gave us freedom to eat all things within laws of men and God and also said that the moral law of God is still valid ( 10 commandments )

Nope, don't apply. We are under the new covenant - the new testament. Here's some verses: Hebrews 8:13 (the old, first covenant is obsolete), Hebrews 8:7, (actually, read Hebrews chapters 8, 9 and 10), Galatians 3:24,25 (the law of Moses acted as a tutor to bring us to Christ, but we are no longer under that tutor).

You need to understand there is a difference between the old law (old covenant/testament) and the new and that the former was abolished so the new (and better) could take its place. E.g. the old law said (in the 10 commandments) that you should not murder anyone - but the new goes one better and says you should not even hate anyone. Don't give up ! Matthew 7:7,8.

The old laws apply when they are convenient, just like the new laws. At least that's how it's taught and practiced. Sure, you will hear people say "you can't pick and choose" but how many of them wear clothing made from two different cloths? How many don't kick their wives out of the house when she's on her period? How many show their father in law the bloodstained sheets from their honeymoon? How many more are willing to kill her and leave her dismembered body on his door step when they find out she's not a virgin?

• ?

Jesus came to fulfill the law.

The law is a school teacher, it was designed to bring us to God. Nobody can keep the law, nobody. If we try, we will fail, we only have to fail one law, to be under the penalty of the whole law.

Christ took the penalty of the law, why put yourself under something paid for, which you can't keep anyway?

You do not understand grace if you desire law.

We were crucified with Christ, that is, we were put to death, if we were put to death the law no longer has jurisdiction. The penalty for breaking the law was death. Paid in full by Christ, the life I now live, I live by faith, Jesus now empowers me. The law could only condemn, Jesus only justify

You have to follow all of the Bibles rules and principles. You can't pick and choose. Yet some of the laws are now not in effect after Jesus died for us. IE Sacrifices of animals for sins.

Xians will tell you that many of the Old Testament laws have been abandonned. Of course the laws that pertain to sex are still in force which should come as no surprise to anyone.

• Rick

The fact that you realize that there is so much conflict in this nonsense is a step in the right direction. This "scared" feeling is simply common sense. Choose to believe in yourself. Look around and stop looking up. Life will start to have a lot more meaning. Good luck

The 10 Commandments, but not ceremonial laws.