Which of Salman Rushdie`s book would you recommend?

I want to read Salman Rushdie`s books.I got "The Fury","Midnight Children" and "The ground beneath her feet".Which one do you recommend?Which is in your opinion the best?What can you tell me about them?thank you

Favorite Answer

Salman is not a woman but a man.

Midnight Children, in every way, a perfect novel. Both humorous and heartbreaking. I found myself deeply moved and very suprised that I enjoyed this novel as much as I did. I have never been very interested in Indian history, and knew close to nothing about it. But upon reading this novel, I found myself drawn into the rich fictional history of the Aziz family, as well as the equally rich history of India. Rushdie may have ruined reading for me, as every book I read will now have much higher standards! Not for light reading, though. I imagine this is a book that you could read over and over and still find something new each time. This is a tough novel, and it takes a lot of work to truly "get it". The only reason I stuck with it is because I had to for class. But it was very rewarding in the end. The novel reveals itself in layers, with recurring themes and motifs that grow in extremely deep and powerful meanings. The character of Saleem, self-described savior of India, is one of the most memorable characters to have graced the pages of a novel. I have heard some people say that this book is a let down in the end, as though it never comes to a full climax. In answer to that: I felt that was the whole point. Saleems dreams are always dreams, they are never completely realized. The language is beautiful and lyrical, and the plot is highly detailed, as though each sentence was carefully planned. Rushdie may be the ultimate architect of this century when it comes to plot building. As a writer myself, I was both green with envy and speechless with awe over this novel. I have never read anything else by Rushdie, but now I definitly plan to!

A couple of tips:

1. There are many different characters, so you may want to make a family tree to keep track.

2. Pay close attention to Rushdie's use of color in the novel, particularly green, saffron and blue, as well as numbers.

3. The narrator, Saleem, breaks away from linear storytelling in a big way. Often, the story jumps around and he gives a lot of foreshadowing. It helps to let go of our western idea of time (i.e. events happening in a timeline) and just let the story unfold. Trust me, once you can let go of your confusion and just let it be, the reading becomes much easier! Also, it's interesting to consider what he chooses to tell us ahead of time, and what he doesn't.

And finally, you will definitly want to brush up on your Indian history! I'm not talking a whole lot, just an Encarta article or something so you know what's going on. Also, when historical figures are mentioned in the book, you should do a little research and find out more about them. This is especially true for the political figures, such as Indira Ghandi.

Like I said, this book is A LOT of work, but worth all the effort.

I've only ever read 'Midnight's Children', but I'd highly recommend it. It's a magical realist roller-coaster history of modern India with added super powers and pickles.

She has had lots of good books:

this website has a a complete list of her books and reviews of them aswell:

http://john.redmood.com/Rushdie.html

:)