How to deal with my daughter being embarrassed because I'm fat?

I'm 5/4 and weigh about 230lbs. My kindergarten-aged daughter has never mentioned anything about my weight until she was teased by a few friends at school. So now, there is parent/child function coming up and she asked that I not join in because she's going to get teased. Aside from feeling upset w/ myself because she's feeling this way because of me...I sat her down and told her about loving a person because of who they are not what they are (using relatives and friends as examples), I still feel as if more should be said or done. Any suggestions?

I'm 5/4 and weigh about 230lbs. My kindergarten-aged daughter has never mentioned anything about my weight until she was teased by a few friends at school. So now, there is parent/child function coming up and she asked that I not join in because she's going to get teased. Aside from feeling upset w/ myself because she's feeling this way because of me...I sat her down and told her about loving a person because of who they are not what they are (using relatives and friends as examples), I still feel as if more should be said or done. Any suggestions? Should I go to the event w/ her or spare her the embarrassment?

Favorite Answer

let your daughter know that what people say about other people doesn't really matter, especially when you love someone. what puts a dimension on anyone else's personna. life is what it is; and, no matter how other people try to make it appear, it doesn't change what it is inside a person. nothing will ever change that. outside appearance is not something that God wanted other people to judge us on. if you love, and truly love someone, it's not what they look at that you admire and love, it's what in that person that make your world and the world of the people that you love. i hope she can get that, because the sooner she does, she'll not only love you, but, she'll also love herself. you don't have to deal with anything. it's up to your daughter to realize what people say doesn't really matter, as long as you have someone that loves you. appearances fade and should not matter. that is not what life is all about. life is the beauty that makes a person.

I think what you did was the right thing.And your right she probably never realized you were overweight until those little brats said something. But during the school ages I think it's normal for a kid to be embarrassed about their parent, even if you were skinny! I remember I was embarrassed about my Moms car because it was an old ugly station wagon lol! Kids are mean, and they will tease her about anything so there isn't too much you can do to prevent that. I know as a Mom you want to protect her from all those harmful words. Just try to teach her to be tough and strong and not to be embarrassed about where she comes from. She will grow out of being embarrassed one day:)

I was raised by an overweight mother. Kids teased my sisters and I when we were kids about it. I loved my mom because she was my mom and eventually got over it. When people would stare, we'd just give them dirty looks.You're doing the right thing teaching her to love some one for who they are. It will take time but eventually she'll stop being embarrassed because she'll realize you're her mom and not some one to be embarrassed by.

Go on a healthy diet and get some regular exercise. It's not just embarrassing for your relatives that you're overweight, it's also unhealthy.

If you love your kid, you will want to be around for her, and that's even more important than not embarrassing her.

I am 6'3" and if I weighed anything like 230lbs, I'd consider myself grossly overweight.

• SusieQ

I find this hard to believe, because at that age, kids do not make fun of chubby parents. I can see if your daughter were in middle school, but Kindergarten? I'm not seeing it.

Source(s): First grade teacher