Why is Texas the greatest state out of all the U.S.?

Ok, I know some people hate Texas but I need some good facts about Texas compared to other states. Some other names for Texas. No politics please. Just some interesting facts that makes it a pretty bad *** state. Thanks :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Did anyone even READ the question?

Obviously not, huh?

Interesting Facts About The Lone Star State . . . . . . .

Origin of State Name: Based on a word used by Caddo Indians meaning "friends"

Texas is the only state to have the flags of 6 different nations fly over it. They are: Spain, France, Mexico, Republic of Texas, Confederate States, and the United States.

Although six flags have flown over Texas, there have been eight changes of government: Spanish 1519-1685, French 1685-1690, Spanish 1690-1821, Mexican 1821-1836, Republic of Texas 1836-1845, United States 1845-1861, Confederate States 1861-1865, United States 1865-present.

More wool comes from the state of Texas than any other state in the United States.

A coastal live oak located near Fulton is the oldest tree in the state. The tree has an estimated age of more than 1,500 years.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

The Hertzberg Circus Museum in San Antonio contains one of the largest assortments of circusana in the world.

Texas is home to Dell and Compaq computers and central Texas is often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the south.

Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.

The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.

The first word spoken from the moon on July 20, 1969 was Houston.

More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.

More species of bats live in Texas than in any other part of the United States.

Laredo is the world's largest inland port.

Port Lavaca has the world's longest fishing pier. Originally part of the causeway connecting the two sides of Lavaca Bay, the center span of was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961.

The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden is the world's largest rose garden. It contains 38,000 rose bushes representing 500 varieties of roses set in a 22-acre garden.

Amarillo has the world's largest helium well.

The world's first rodeo was held in Pecos on July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel on Seawall Boulevard in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built entirely over the water.

The Heisman trophy is named for John William Heisman the first full-time coach and athletic director at Rice University in Houston.

The Houston Comets are the only team in the country to win four back-to-back WNBA championships. 1997-2000 Cynthia Cooper remains the only player to win the WNBA Championship MVP.

Edwards Plateau in west central Texas is the top sheep growing area in the country.

Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.

The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845.

The population of Texas is 24 million, not including the 16 million cattle.

70% of the population of Texas lives within 200 miles of Austin.

Texas possesses three of the Top Ten most populous cities in the U.S. - Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

Texas has 215 cities with a population of 10,000 or more.

The Dallas-Fort Worth area has more residents - 6,145,037 - than 31 U.S. states.

For example, Colorado has about 4.9 million residents.

Texas includes 267,339 square miles, or 7.4% of the nation's total area.

El Paso, Texas is closer to Needles, California (516 miles) than it is to Dallas, Texas (571 miles).

Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles. Connecticut (5,544 Sq Mi),

Delaware (2,489 Sq Mi) and Rhode Island (1,545 Sq Mi) can fit inside this county.

The King Ranch itself near Corpus Christi is larger than the state of Rhode Island, includes 50,000 head of cattle and more than 2,000 miles of fence.

Texas possesses 23,292 farms with 1,000 acres or more for a total of 132 million acres, or 80% of the state land area.

Texas has 90 mountains a mile or more high, with Guadalupe Peak in West Texas at 8,751 feet being the tallest.

Almost 10% of Texas is covered by forest which includes four national and five state forests.

Average yearly rainfall totals in West Texas are less than 8 inches while in East Texas totals exceed 56 inches. Texas climate statistics, Texas and U.S. weather extremes.

The average January temperature for Amarillo is 36.7 degrees while in Brownsville the average is 61.4. On March 27, 1984, the temperature in Brownsville was 106 degrees while Amarillo reported snow and 35 degrees.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Liberal California [I've always lived here] - most diverse state; has amazing beaches, mountains, etc etc; perfect weather; the people can be assholes but you get over it Washington [more specifically Seattle] - amazing nature, intelligent and educated people, very diverse, better weather than most people think, amazing food Virginia [and the rest of the Chesapeake Bay region] - I just love the region in general. very green, great food, close to DC New York - you cant go wrong with New York City 5th pick was tough for me but I'd probably go with Hawaii - amazing weather, amazing people, amazing everything. It would probably be higher on my list I'd actually been there to experience it myself

• 1 decade ago

With CA, one of the few states which set the standards for text books for high school. By having the second largest market, their requirements control everyone's books.

The state with the highest level of pollution in populated areas (even worse than NJ!).

Will soon have the longest set of privately owned toll roads - the state has sold them to private investors, solving today's budget problem by selling your tomorrows.

Home of the ATF's worst massacre, the Branch Davidian mess outside Waco.

• 1 decade ago

I am a Limey and I am surprised that it has not been answered correctly as yet.

The answer is of course OIL. when it has all gone Texas will revert to the over sized backwater that it used to be.

Miunighan forgot to tell you that they speak English in Texas. His account was however very interesting. I rated it

Source(s): Limey
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Arizona is by far the best.

Perfect weather.

No Hazards.

Good Economy.

Flat land.

Close to Ocean.

Close to Mountains.

Beautiful.

• 1 decade ago

Iowa's better, especially their football team. The weather may be garbage (we LOVE it cold!!!!) and we may not want to secede from the Union, but atleast we're in the BIG 10.

• Grewe
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

hmm I think it's pretty clear that Kansas rocks all other states

all the flatness is totally awesome and exciting

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ummm....it's not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.