Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaVancouver · 1 decade ago

Victoria or Vancouver?

My boyfriend and I are planning a weekend trip to Canada from Seattle, and we're arguing about whether to go to Victoria or Vancouver. We don't want to do any rigorous outdoor activities, mainly just sight see, eat, and have some drinks. We've decided to settle the argument by yahoo answers. whichever place gets the most votes is the place we'll go.

Favorite Answer

im in and out of Vancouver all the time and as fun as it is, it just doesnt compare to victoria for sightseeing for me. victoria (well, all of vancouver island for that matter) is GORGEOUS. i love how you can be downtown one minute, a two minute drive later youre in Chinatown, and a two minute drive more and youre staring at the endless pacific ocean. i am hoping to move there myself soon.

some sights to see are the parliament buildings, Beacon Hill Park, Christ church Cathedral and also make sure you go for a walk on the ogden point seawall. its a mile long walkway that is out on the ocean breakwater. its scary but really cool. you could also go whale watching, or visit the pacific undersea gardens. google victoria, british columbia and click on images. i bet it will convince you to go :P

dont get me wrong, vancouver is awesome too. but all of us in vancouver right now are sort of stuck in a post-olympic depression :P

if you decide to go to victoria, try to take a ferry during sunset. the sunsets on the ferry are beautiful!

The drive from Seattle to Victoria is wet, unless you take the ferry. Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Vancouver is on the mainland, so you can do a triangle run from Seattle to Vancouver, after spending some time in Vancouver, head to Twsawwassen and take the ferry to Vancouver Island, enjoy Victoria then take the ferry back to Seattle. Whoops! I just re-read your question, and you're starting from Washington DC, not the state of Washington. Okay. Fly to Seattle, take the ferry to Victoria (you can walk-on and rent a vehicle in Victoria) You can take the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver and depending on how long you plan to stay in Vancouver, you can either rent a car or use local transit. Seattle is a fun place to visit - it's got a great waterfront, interesting little shops and malls, and lots of things to see and do. Whether it's worth the $160 to make a side trip is up to you -- and it depends, too, on how long overall you have for your travels. It takes three hours to drive from Seattle to Vancouver, but if there are lineups at the border, and there often are, it can take hours and hours to get through. Enjoy your trip, and happy honeymoon!

Well...... they're both good options. Vancouver's sort of more... big city and fancy. Vancouver has more shopping... But Victoria has the Royal BC Museum and stuff. Plus in Victoria you could walk down on the Wharf and see magic shows sometimes and stuff. Both have lots of nice hotels and restaurants... I would suggest something on the water for a little more west coast experience.

I know you said you don't want any rigorous outdoor activity, but for the full canadian experience, you really should at least go for a walk through some trails and enjoy some of our beautiful nature!

On a weekend trip? There's lots to do in either place. Vancouver obviously has more, as it is larger, but on a weekend you are limited to how many sights you can see and how many meals you can eat and drinks you can drink. If it's a nice weekend, go to Victoria (take the ferry) and enjoy. Otherwise, go to Vancouver.

That doesn't help you, but you could always go to Victoria this time and Vancouver later, when you had an extra day or so.

Victoria - take the Seattle Clipper from Seattle straight to the Inner Harbour in Victoria. Lots of restaurants, walkable sights, great weather, easy to get around, and less rain than Vancouver. Lots of touristy sightseeing activities, including open air horse drawn carriages, double decker busses, museums, heritage houses, the BC capitol building, historic hotels (the Empress at the harbour), Chinatown, etc.

• pepper

We're planning our first visit to both this summer. My research has made me believe that if I had to choose I'd choose Victoria. Vancouver would be the choice to see the Olympic venues (but the Olympics are over0 and for outdoor activities. If you want sightseeing and restaurants, my vote goes to Victoria.

I vote for Vancouver if you like it you'll be back to explore more of B.C. . I live in L.A. and went up there four times a year for the past seven years

Vancouver and Seattle are very, very, very, very similar, so Id head over to Victoria :)

I'd say Vancouver.

It has better night life and restaurants and things to do.