Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Are you supposed to write thank you notes when people send you sympathy cards?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes of course you are supposed to write thank you notes,here's how

Dear Mr. and/or Ms. (Name/s),

On behalf of my sister, Joanne Smith, I am writing to thank you for the beautiful floral arrangement and card (or expressing your sympathy, generous charitable donation, wonderful photos of our mother, etc) you sent to honor the memory of our mother, Patricia. Your thoughtfulness during this difficult time for our family is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Your Name

For more thank you notes ideas about sympathy just feel free to visit us at

• 1 decade ago

No. I have felt compelled to write thank yous for sympathy cards when my grandparents passed away, too. But no, that's not how it works. People don't expect any thank you notes for their expression of condolences, in fact, I think they would think it was a little odd. I think the only thing I would write thank you cards for would be if someone sent flowers or a plant or something.

• 1 decade ago

If you're feeling up to it, it can't hurt. Some people get cranky when their letters aren't answered (not that they should).

In the case of sympathy cards, though, you can let it slide.

• Pal
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Notes of acknowledgment are only necessary if there was a gift involved. If you should meet a person who sent a card is it appropriate to thank them in person for remembering you in your grief.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, it is not necessary at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.