Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Is evolution still occurring among us?

If we are Homo Sapiens(dunno how it's spelled) now and used to be something else, could we also be different in dozens of thousands of years than now?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Evolution is occurring, but not at a significant level. I would be willing to bet that humans in thousands of years will be very similar to the humans of today.

Evolution acts by natural selection, but we have essentially eliminated it from our lives. We control our enviornment with things like AC, heaters, refrigerators, and highly advanced health care. We can send aide to countries that need help, and with easy travel people from opposite sides of the world ear meeting up and having kids, leading to a more "average" genetics for the human population. There are only a handful of truly isolated populations in the world, notable on islands around India that have never interacted with todays civilization, so it will be interesting to find out what happens to them in tens of thuosands of years as they still have all the pressures of natural selection working on them and no new genetics flowing in....but as for the rest of the human population, barring some huge catastrophe, I would say there won't be much significant change.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can already see us evolving in many ways. Redheads are genetically superior other humans and yet we are dying out. Less than 2% of the world's population are redheads and soon we will be no more. This is an example of how some characteristics die out with the times. I know that you're looking more for a large change but we can't be sure about that. I can tell you that we are becoming slowly less diverse though

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

> Is evolution still occurring among us?

Yes, but selection is largely social these days -- some populations are reproducing faster than others. Here in Los Angeles, the ones who are reproducing faster happen to have black hair and do not get wisdom teeth. So in future generations, you can expect to see a greater proportion of people with black hair and a greater proportion of people who don't get wisdom teeth.

• 1 decade ago

Geekybandgirl is wrong, we are diversifying. Evolution is occurring, so yes we could be of a different breed thousands of years from now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kevin7
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes it is still going on in all lifeforms.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.