How old is the bible(jewish, christian, old-/new Testament)?

I've found many different answers via google. For the christian old Testament about 1500 B.C.

How old is the bible(jewish, christian, old-/new Testament), do you know a reliable source?

Favorite Answer

Here are the books of the Bible along with the name of who is most assumed by biblical scholars to be the author, along with the approximate date of authorship:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy = Moses - 1400 B.C.

Joshua = Joshua - 1350 B.C.

Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel = Samuel/Nathan/Gad - 1000 - 900 B.C.

1 Kings, 2 Kings = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.

1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah = Ezra - 450 B.C.

Esther = Mordecai - 400 B.C.

Job = Moses - 1400 B.C.

Psalms = several different authors, mostly David - 1000 - 400 B.C.

Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon = Solomon - 900 B.C.

Isaiah = Isaiah - 700 B.C.

Jeremiah, Lamentations = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.

Ezekiel = Ezekiel - 550 B.C.

Daniel = Daniel - 550 B.C.

Hosea = Hosea - 750 B.C.

Joel = Joel - 850 B.C.

Amos = Amos - 750 B.C.

Obadiah = Obadiah - 600 B.C.

Jonah = Jonah - 700 B.C.

Micah = Micah - 700 B.C.

Nahum = Nahum - 650 B.C.

Habakkuk = Habakkuk - 600 B.C.

Zephaniah = Zephaniah - 650 B.C.

Haggai = Haggai - 520 B.C.

Zechariah = Zechariah - 500 B.C.

Malachi = Malachi - 430 B.C.

Matthew = Matthew - A.D. 55

Mark = John Mark - A.D. 50

Luke = Luke - A.D. 60

John = John - A.D. 90

Acts = Luke - A.D. 65

Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon = Paul - A.D. 50-70

Hebrews = unknown, mostly likely Paul, Luke, Barnabas, or Apollos - A.D. 65

James = James - A.D. 45

1 Peter, 2 Peter = Peter - A.D. 60

1 John, 2 John, 3 John = John - A.D. 90

Jude = Jude - A.D. 60

Revelation = John - A.D. 90

John the Baptist

Many Christians definitely DO read the Old Testament. But there's a discontinuity between them. In the older part, Jews are mostly the good guys. In the newer part, they're mostly bad guys. This tends to suggest a Christian bias. To make both parts work, Christians do a lot of "interpreting" that their Jewish spiritual forebears just don't follow. Actually, in the earliest days, Christians thought the Old Testament WAS the Bible. There wasn't any "New" Testament. Those books came later, after Christians became convinced that Jesus wouldn't come back before the new stuff was published. They can't really get rid of the "Old" Testament because that's somebody ELSE's Bible, the Jews! Christians borrowed it, then started calling it "Old" to make it sound outdated and irrelevant. The "Old Testament" is properly called the Hebrew Bible" or "Tanakh". The rest is the "Christian Bible" or the "New Testament", which you can get all by itself if you like.

• Corey

The oldest parts of the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament/Tanakh) were probably written about 950 BCE, but have undergone quite a bit of editing since then. The Christian New Testament was written between 45 and 130 CE.

First what we know: not a lot. The authors didn't write their name, date and classroom on the top of each page. Most of them didn't even bother writing their name. The Christian Bible consists of more than 60 Scriptures written in 3 ancient languages, and scholars "guess" at their age by the grammar and vocabulary used (linguistic analysis).

Until recently, most scholars have dated the oldest Hebrew Scriptures to the 6th-8th century B.C.E. This is because scholars did not have any actual examples of Hebrew writing predating the 6th century.

However, **very** recently a discovery was made of Hebrew writing from the 10th century B.C.E. Probably, most of the Scriptures currently dated to the 6th century are going to be dated much earlier by the linguists of this decade.

Most scholars date the Christian Scriptures from about 60 to 150 C.E. (most of them before 100 C.E.)

It's not valid to give a date to the Old Testament because different Christian sects include different Scriptures in their Old Testament. It's better to date individual Scriptures.

http://www.bible-reviews.com/charts_scriptures_abb...

or to give a conservative but inclusive range like, "800 B.C.E. to 100 C.E."

Understand, though, that all of these existed as separate scrolls during these periods. The first book known as "The Bible" was the Latin Vulgate of 405 C.E. This book collected all of the Scriptures believed to be authentic under one cover, all translated into a single language. Some "proto-Bibles" appeared in the mid-4th century, but their contents vary.

Reliable source: HarperCollins Bible Dictionary is pretty good, but does not include all of the above information. I have gathered it from many sources, but the HCBD is my primary source.

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com

Some of the texts making up the Old Testament date back to the late second millennium BCE but most were compiled around the middle of the next millennium. The texts of the New Testament date from the mid-first century (letters of Paul) to the late first century, but the canon was not established until the fourth century and the Bible as we know it was assembled even later.

When looking for sources, look for scholarly sources, not apologetic sources.

• E. T.

Among the major books of religion, the Bible is one of the very oldest. Its first parts (Genesis-Deuteronomy, Job) were written some 3,500 years ago. This book was completed in 98 C.E.* Though some 40 men were its writers over a period of 1,600 years, the Bible is a harmonious body of writings. That is so because its real Author is God.

The completed pentateuch dates from about 550 to 500 BCE (BC). Unless I'm mistaken, the oldest existing fragments are the Dead Sea scrolls and they date from about 250 BCE.

The standardised bible dates from 320 to 330 CE (AD).

Source(s): Wikipedia: The age of the Dead Sea scrolls is listed as 150 BCE to 70 CE which is a lot younger than I expected.

Less than 1 % of the age of our species

The Bible was written over a 1,600-year period.

The last book was written in year 98 after Christ.

The Early Church Fathers picked the religious books about the Jewish God that were declared "the Word of God"... They had God evolving into a "sweet Jesus" when they added the New Testament books to make The Jewish God palatable to the Western world... Many religious books had to be left out of the Bible... They were too silly...

Years after Saint Paul put together Christianity, the Early Church Fathers collected all the Gospels (26+ stories) written about the “virgin birth of Jesus Christ.” They kept only 4 for the Gospels so they can be sent to the 4 corners of their FLAT EARTH! This is what they set forth… Mary was a horny teenager in full puberty. She was very eagerly submitting to the advances of the proxy agent of God the Holy Ghost, the Archangel Saint Gabriel that was sent to fix a deal with her to mother GOD the Son Jesus Christ! She didn’t hesitate for one moment to comply with the indecent proposal of a perfect stranger! So it was not a rape, but more like a horny smart young girl's dream to sexually lay God the Holy Ghost come true… spiritually speaking, of course!

The Blessed Virgin Mary was not married to God the Holy Ghost, neither to Saint Joseph! She was bunking with Saint Joseph in the same house, but she was still too young to have sex with an old man like him. Marriage rules in those days were very liberal and much different from today rules! In most cases the groom or his parents buy the bride when she is still a baby, or at a very young age that is too young for sexual intercourse. Sometimes the groom has to wait for a while before having sex with her. If he can’t wait there is NOTHING IN GOD’S LAW to stop him! The fact of the virgin birth STORY in the Bible THAT NO CHRISTIAN CAN DENY is that Saint Joseph is not the legit father of the Baby God the Son Jesus Christ and that the Bible genealogy to prove that Jesus is a Jew on the side of Saint Joseph is totally worthless! As far as marriage rules go in our society today, Jesus Christ is a plain “bastard!” The SOB initials can rightfully be applicable in his case. He could rightly be call a Son of a B*tch, but since the Early Church Fathers came up with the brilliant idea to certify that Mary is a perpetual virgin nobody would dare to call Jesus any vulgar name. The Bible writers claim that Jesus is exceptionally cool because God doesn’t deal with ANY BASTARD no matter how Holy until their 10th generation (Deut 23:2), but Jesus Christ is an exception to any Law of God, especially about Mary parents having to keep her last tampon* (*cloth) handy at all times as evidence of her virginity especially on her wedding day (Deut 22:20-21)! Most Christians are affraid to investigate anything that is detrimental to their faith otherwise Christianity would collapse in no time!

Christians know that the Blessed Virgin Mary kept her pregnancy a secret from her fiancé Saint Joseph, for 6 months! When he found out that her belly was getting unusually big he was going to dump her. Mary assured him that she was still a virgin and that she was going to mother God. Fortunately, an angel NOT GOD THE HOLY GHOST, but an angel came the same night in a dream to Saint Joseph telling him that everything is OK, so the sucker kept her!

Because of the Holy Trinity connection, the Blessed Virgin Mary became recognized as the Mother of God conceived without the “original sin™”. Always virgin! Her hymen was NEVER torn! The Virgin Mary’s virginity is a miracle verified by Saint Salome to the fullest satisfaction of the Early Church Fathers! Nobody can prove any abuse! In 1950 it became a Church dogma that she ascended bodily into Heaven where she is now Queen of Heaven and Mother of God! I don’t believe that she would be willing to complain about any statutory rape or abuse! The Vatican compensated her beyond her wildest dreams! LUCKY TEENAGER!

This is the Story of the Divine Seduction of the Blessed Virgin Mary according to

THE PROTOEVANGELIUM OF SAINT JAMES…

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0847.htm

11. And she took the pitcher, and went out to fill it with water. And, behold, a voice saying: Hail, thou who hast received grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women! And she looked around, on the right hand and on the left, to see whence this voice came. And she went away, trembling, to her house, and put down the pitcher; and taking the purple, she sat down on her seat, and drew it out. And, behold, an angel of the Lord stood before her, saying: Fear not, Mary; for thou hast found grace before the Lord of all, and thou shalt conceive, according to His word. And she hearing, reasoned with herself, saying: Shall I conceive by the Lord, the living God? and shall I bring forth as every woman brings forth? And the angel of the Lord said: Not so, Mary; for the power of the Lord shall overshadow thee: wherefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of the Most High. And thou shalt call His name Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins. And Mary said: Behold, the servant of the Lord before His face: let it be unto me according to thy word.

12. And she made the purple and the scarlet, and took them to the priest. And the priest blessed her, and said: Mary, the Lord God hath magnified thy name, and thou shall be blessed in all the generations of the earth. And Mary, with great joy, went away to Elizabeth her kinswoman, and knocked at the door. And when Elizabeth heard her, she threw away the scarlet, and ran to the door, and opened it; and seeing Mary, she blessed her, and said: Whence is this to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? for, behold, that which is in me leaped and blessed thee. But Mary had forgotten the mysteries of which the archangel Gabriel had spoken, and gazed up into heaven, and said: Who am I, O Lord, that all the generations of the earth should bless me? And she remained three months with Elizabeth; and day by day she grew bigger. And Mary being afraid, went away to her own house, and hid herself from the sons of Israel. And she was sixteen years old when these mysteries happened.

13. And she was in her sixth month; and, behold, Joseph came back from his building, and, entering into his house, he discovered that she was big with child...

The Blessed Virgin Mary was drenched in Holy Ghost Sperm from head to toe like the Early Church Fathers report in the Saint Bart’s Gospel. This Gospel had equal chance to be part of the Holy Bible, but they already had too many books so they closed the Bible canon as is.

GOSPEL OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

http://www.gnosis.org/library/gosbart.htm

Chapter 2 (II)

3 Bartholomew therefore said unto Peter: Thou that art the chief, and my teacher, draw near and ask her. But Peter said to John: Thou art a virgin and undefiled and thou must ask her.

4 And as they all doubted and disputed, Bartholomew came near unto her with a cheerful countenance and said to her: Thou that art highly favored the tabernacle of the Most High, unblemished we, even all the apostles, ask thee to tell us how thou didst conceive the incomprehensible.

5 But Mary said unto them: Ask me not concerning this mystery. If I should begin to tell you, fire will issue forth out of my mouth and consume all the world.

6 But they continued yet the more to ask her. And she, for she could not refuse to hear the apostles, said: Let us stand up in prayer

Gibberish verses…

14 And when she had ended the prayer she began to say unto them: Let us sit down upon the ground; and come thou, Peter the chief, and sit on my right hand and put thy left hand beneath mine armpit; and thou, Andrew, do so on my left hand; and thou, John, the virgin* (*no joking!), hold together my bosom; and thou, Bartholomew, set thy knees against my back and hold my shoulders, lest when I begin to speak my bones be loosed one from another* (*she was anticipating another orgasmic experience of humongous proportions just at the thought of having had sex with God the Holy Ghost! It is all in the Early Church Father’s writings!).

15 And when they had so done she began to say: When I abode in the temple of God, on a certain day there appeared unto me one in the likeness of an angel.

16 And straightway the veil of the temple was rent and there was a very great earthquake, and I fell upon the earth, for I was not able to endure the sight of him.

17 But he put his hand beneath me and raised me up, and I looked up into heaven AND THERE CAME A CLOUD OF DEW AND SPRINKLED ME FROM THE HEAD TO THE FEET* (*just like in any hard core porn video!), and he wiped me with his robe* (*apparently, there was not a shower room in the Temple of God!).

The Blessed Virgin Mary never lost her virginity during her sexual intercourse with God the Holy Ghost, and not even during DELIVERY of the Baby God Jesus Christ according to...

THE PROTEVANGELIUM OF SAINT JAMES

19. And the midwife went forth out of the cave, and Salome met her. And she said to her: Salome, Salome, I have a strange sight to relate to thee: a virgin has brought forth-a thing which her nature admits not of. Then said Salome: As the Lord my God liveth, unless I thrust in my finger, and search the **** parts, I will not believe that a virgin has brought forth.

20. And the midwife went in, and said to Mary: Show thyself* (*spread thy legs!), for no small controversy has arisen about thee. And Salome put in her finger, and cried out, and said: Woe is me for mine iniquity and mine unbelief, because I have tempted the living God; and, behold, my hand is dropping off as if burned with fire* (*She got real excited using her whole hand in search of the hallowed hymen that she almost destroys the paramount evidence of Mary’s virginity and God the Holy Spook had to slap her hand, but relax all ye Christians… she fully recovere