How to make a Wall Hanging Photo Frame?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Hanging Your Photo Frame

There are tons of articles on the Internet on how to shoot your photos. But there are very few articles on how to hang your photos at home for exhibition. After all, it only takes nails and a hammer to hang your photos right?

Comments & Discussion >>

Nails and Hammer

Not really. Most homes in the United States uses dry walls. Pounding a nail through dry wall is like tapping a needle into a cracker. If you are careful, the nail would go through without knocking a hole in the wall. But over time, the dry wall flakes like your cracker, creating a bigger hole. Not to mention the nail might land anywhere on the floor for your toddler to find.

The only safe way to use a nail to hang up a photo frame is to find wood studs behind the dry wall. The problem is that you can't hang your photo frame up anywhere you please. Your presentation is going to suffer, because the aesthetics of your photo arrangement is awkward. And as photographs we all know the importance of subject placement, right?

Comments & Discussion >>

The Right Way

So, now that we have an understanding that nails and hammer is the wrong way to go, what is the best way to hang up a photo frame? The best way is slightly more complicated than pounding a nail into a wall with a hammer. And you'll need more tools. But the result is pleasing, confident, and professional. After you try it a few times, you will never ever consider using nails and hammer again for anything (except for a few cases like roofing your house).

Comments & Discussion >>

Parts You Need

Your Photograph

Your Photo Frame

Buildex E-Z Anchor Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors

#10 x 2" Wood Screw

Your photograph and your photo frame is pretty self-explanatory. Since you are reading this article, you must already have at least something you want to hang; or already have a few hanging photographs. You can pretty much use any photo frame; as fancy as you can get. The method I'm showing you can handle 50 lbs on a single screw. With multiple screws, you can literally hang a rock on the wall, as long as your wall can support the weight.

Your need drywall anchors for this project. The drywall anchor allows you to hang your photo frame anywhere on the drywall, regardless of where the wood studs are located. You can arrange the photo anywhere on your wall. You can use any drywall anchor you find at the hardware store. But I like the Buildex E-Z Anchor Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors a lot (see photo below). They screw into the drywall like a screw, they are easier to install than the anchors that you press into the wall, and they create clean, professional appearances. I saw 30 lbs and 50 lbs versions at the Home Depot. I went with the 50 lbs versions (I've been known to over-improve my home), which comes with 20 anchors and 20 screws.

In case there is a wood stud where you want to locate your photo, I use the #10 x 2" wood screw that you can find at the hardware store. They are cheap and sturdy. I believe, you can hang 30 to 50 lbs with each screw.

Comments & Discussion >>

Tools You Need

Skil Cordless Drill

1/8" Drill Bit

7/32" Drill Bit

Black & Decker AS600 6-Volt Alkaline Battery Cordless Screwdriver

#2 Philips Screw Bit

Stanley 77-110 IntelliSensor Stud Sensor

Level

For this project, you'll need a drill, a 3/32" drill bit, and a 7/32" drill bit. I like cordless drills, because they are convenient. But you can use any drill you like. The different sized drill bits are for drilling the drywall, and maybe drilling the wood stud if one happens to be at the drilling location. The drill bit size is based on using the Buildex E-Z Anchor Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors and the #10 x 2" wood screws. If you use some other anchor product, then substitute the drill bits as necessary.

Your drill can double as a screwdriver, but I use a separate Black & Decker AS600 6-Volt Alkaline Battery Cordless Screwdriver for convenience. You'll also need a #2 Philips screw bit. The drill bit size is based on using the Buildex E-Z Anchor Self-Drilling Drywall Anchors. If you use some other anchor product, then substitute the drill bit as necessary.

Make sure you have a stud finder. I use a Stanley IntelliSensor Stud Finder. It was less than 20 bucks at the hardware store. Even though you aren't using nails and hammer any more, you'll still need to find the wood studs. If you planning on hanging a photograph over a stud, you can't use the anchor (though you can still use the screw that came with the anchor).

The water level is for you to hang the photo straight. Asking your spouse to eyeball it might be romantic in the movies, but they rarely work. It only creates doubt and conflict between you and your spouse. I rather let a water level do the work than to bicker back forth with my wife. Oh, and it helps you win arguments. If you don't mind losing your wife, ask her to eyeball the photo frame, then pull out your water level

• 10 years ago

Sturdy, thick cardboard

Fabric

Glue or tape

Scissors

Pencil

Ruler

Step 1 -- Measure and Cut Cardboard

Measure and cut both cardboard pieces to your final frame size and shape (if using the pre-cut photo mats, just cut one piece of cardboard to the size of the mat and skip to step 3)

Step 2 - Measure and Cut Picture Window

Cut a photo window in one piece of cardboard. Remember to cut it a little smaller than the picture size (for a 4x6 photo, cut a window about 3.75 x 5.75). To center your picture window in the frame, find the middle of the cardboard by drawing an "X" from corner to corner, then measure one-half of the window's height and width from that center point toward each side.

Step 3 - Cut polyfill batting

Cut polyfill batting to the size of your frame, leave about 1/8" extra around the edge to slightly round the edges of the frame. Cut out the window area to match. Use double-sided tape or a dot of glue to lightly secure the batting to the cardboard frame

Step 4 - Cut Fabric

Lay one piece of fabric right side down and place the cut frame with batting, batting-side down, on the wrong side of the fabric. Mark and cut the window opening on the fabric, leaving ample fabric (about ¾ to 1 inch) for folding back and attaching to the frame. Also cut an angle in each corner of the fabric at the corners of the picture window (or around the circle)- cut this just short of the window so the cardboard won't peek through when done. Also trim the outer corners leaving about 1/8" to spare.

Step 5 - Attach Fabric to the Frame Window

Begin on the outside, working on opposite sides one side at a time, pull the fabric around to the cardboard and tape or glue. Next, pull fabric through the window to the cardboard and tape or glue. (make sure the edges of the fabric are secured to the cardboard)

Source(s): Experience
  • 5 years ago

Online Canvas Printing Companies There are a number of elements to recognize when you want to finish a photo canvas printing work on the web. In present times, there is such a large amount of rivalry between the portraits from photos printing companies that it is very challenging to recognize a moderate association. Top quality canvas is available in a range of sizes according to the requirements of the customers. Right from the beginning size to the large size, all . The benefit of a photo canvas is that you give your photo an artistic feel to showcase your photo in a similar way that creative departments in the advertising industry to promote their products to consumers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.