How can I stop debt collectors from calling me?

My current phone number was apparently previously owned by a person who had large amounts of debt. This person must have changed their number, and now it is mine and debt collectors are calling 24/7. What can I do to stop them?

• Deevil
    Favorite Answer

Same thing happened to me.

Federal Trade Commission- File a complaint @ 1-877-382-4357

Federal Communications Commission - Complaints @

www.fcc.gov/cgb or 1-888-225-5322

Also contact your local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint as well.

In the meantime, use this as your reply to their calls.

"You have mistaken me for someone else. I have told you not to call my phone number and I have made a complaint against you and your company for harassment with the FTC, FCC and Better Business Bureau."

Every time they call, even if they hang up on you or won't give a name, write down what time and date they called and any other info you can get. These agencies will want that information as the FTC and FCC can impose fines against companies that break rules concerning conduct with consumers.

The company that was calling me looking for some woman who had previously had my phone number was fined. The reason was I was able to show proof of their rudeness with a taped conversation of an incoming call they made to my cellphone. (I set my phone to record all incoming calls).

If you are not too attached to the number then call your service provider and explain the situation and have them change the number. They should be willing to change it for free, if not request to speak to a manager

Source(s): 6 years Tech Support with a major wireless carrier

Get another number. Of course, with the current economy, I don't know the odds that you might have the same problem again.

Ring up the company and explain the problem.

when they call ask for their supervisor and explain the situation and that you'll seek legal action if they don't stop calling.

Kill 'em