Question about white german shepherds?

So, I've frequently seen ads advertising white german shepherds. As far as I know, these aren't quality dogs though. I've heard boxers come in an all white too. Is it similar to a blue merle great dane, where the dog is just not good genetic material? Do white german shepherds and boxers give birth to... show more So, I've frequently seen ads advertising white german shepherds. As far as I know, these aren't quality dogs though. I've heard boxers come in an all white too. Is it similar to a blue merle great dane, where the dog is just not good genetic material? Do white german shepherds and boxers give birth to blind and deaf pups?

I was hoping somebody more familiar with those 2 breeds could help shed some light on these white dogs.

NOTE: I am in NO way implying that I'd ever purchase one of these dogs. I think I know enough to know that these dogs are not as healthy as they should be. I'm just curious about why they are white (as opposed to fawn or sable, etc.) and if they have particular problems separate from their breed.