In a play, what does spectacle mean?

I know that it is a tool that a playwright uses, but I'm not sure what it means. or how to look for it in a play. I am reading M. Butterfly, A Raisin in the Sun, and Death of a Salesman. It would be good if someone can please help me with a Raisin in the Sun. That is the first one I have to write a paper on. Thanks ahead of time!!!

Favorite Answer

In Raisin the most important theme is Lena's line "I ain't never gonna get this little plant to grow" (forgive me if the wording is a little different). The plant represents Lena's family and how she nutures her family therefore tending to the plant. Her tending to the plant is symbolic for how she cares for her family. The loss of the money by Walter Lee represents the dying of Lena's and her husband's dream of making it out of the ghetto.

Source(s): Myself. I was Lena in Raisin in the Sun.

What Does Spectacle Mean

It could be a tool the playwright uses, but I have never heard it referred to as such. Certainly many playwrights, such as David Belasco, relied heavity on spectacle to make their plays successful. Today, We are mostly interested in the story (Plot) and the Characters. Spectacle is one of Aristotle's six parts of a tragedy. It refers to all of the physical parts of the play, props, scenery, costumes, lighting, and could also include sound effects, choreography and so on. (Aristotle's other five parts of a tragedy are Plot, Character, Thought, Diction,and Music. (unfortunately,he never explained what he meant by music)

Source(s): The Poetics of Aristotle.