Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 10 years ago

What are some GIRLS names that can have the nickname EFFY?

like Elisabeth, Persephone, Serefina, names beginning with "F" etc etc

Actually, it's nothing to do with Skins :)

My cousin's nickname is Effy, and she wants to change her name but keep her nickname.

• Favorite Answer

Oh! I did the research for this last week!

Some are a little weird (there were a lot weirder!) and I haven't researched them yet but I'll give you the list anyway.

Here are some names I found:

Efah

Effemy

Effemia

Estefani

Estefania

Isoefina

Estefany

Efrona

Efia

Efenia

Josefa

Josefina

Josefita

Mefin

Sefina

Stefana

Stefanie

Stefania

Zefira

Ephah

Josephina

Josephine

Nephele

Sephora

Stephanie

Stephania

Zephira

Brefney

Efthalia

Efthymia

Nefaria

Kefira

Elephinia

Ephyra

Persephanie

Sephia

Sephron

Stepha

Based just on sound I like Sephia, Stepha, Zephira, Josephina and Effemy the best.

There's always Elizabeth but I know you know that! :)

:)

• buil

Effy Name

The only one that i truly like this nickname with (and i prefer the spelling Effie) would be Elizabeth.

I suppose Stephanie could be another. and Aoife...i love that name.

others:

Elfrida, Efrona, Euphogenia but i wouldn't use those names as they are quite odd to the American ear..even if they are classic European names.

Another would be Eliza, akin to Elizabeth, but a bit redundant, unless of course the proper name is Eliza. which i do like.

I know Effy can be short for Ephraim for a boy.

Source(s): Obsessed w/baby names, Military Wife & Mother of 4 (14 y/o son, 11 y/o son, 4 y/o daughter & 2 y/o son)
  • Milly

Skins is on tonight :) Don't forget, should you by chance, be a fan!

You've listed the obvious ones. My ex's sister is named Aoife, and her nickname is Effie (which is an actual name of Scottish and English origin. It's derived from the Greek name Euphemia; http://www.behindthename.com/name/euphemia ). Oh, and there's the name Saffron, lol!

EDIT:

Sophina

• This is totally not a helpful answer, but the first three names that came to mind were:

Hephzibah (HEF-zi-buh): A biblical name meaning "my delight is in her." Lovely meaning. Horrendous name. George Eliot's novel "Silas Marner" features a little girl named Hephzibah who goes by Eppie. It seems that Effy would be just as logical a nickname choice.

Euphegenia (yoo-fo-jen-EYE-uh): A name perhaps invented by the creators of the movie Mrs. Doubtfire. Behind the Name doesn't have it, although they do have Efigenia as a Portuguese variant of Eugenia.

Euphemia (yoo-FEM-ee-uh): A fourth-century Christian martyr. Her name means "to speak well."

Euphemia is rather pretty, but the others just aren't quite usable today.

I should win something now for worst answer, now shouldn't I? :)

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av0dG

It's a bit of a stretch, but honestly nicknames come from everywhere and sometimes the nicknames that are a bit of a stretch are the best (you've still got me loving Scout from Scarlett). I also think there are a lot of nicknames that are closer and not such a stretch but are still quite cute (I like Gen, Ginny, Vivi, Eve). But honestly, I think it would work fine :) BQ1: YES! That would have been amazing! I'd also like to educate some of the kids I went to school with who are already having kids (especially the girl who named her daughter Madduhlynne Kupkake-LilyRose). I think I would have done quite well unless there was a section on unique names :P BQ2: -- Flora Lillian "Lora" -- Olive Wren "Livvy" -- Estrella Rose "Ella" (Estrella means Star) BQ3: -- I love the word "Imagine", because I'm a creative person inside... and I love dreaming up stories :) -- I'd use it on a girl, because it's quite similar to Imogen. -- Imagine Viola "Immy" :)

• Satine

Aoife (Ee-fuh) could go by Effie or Effy

or

Stephanie could go by Effy (but I hate the name Stephanie, I think that it sounds very dated)

• Take it you like skins...

Elizabeth is the only good name i can think of..

But if you really like the name...Just call her Effy rather then a name to give the nickname too.

Source(s): TTC#1 for 15 months
  • Sofia, Sofie and Effie is a girl name (Greek)

• Stephanie